Bones are stretching my character

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

LoganB

Bones are stretching my character

Post by LoganB »

Hello everybody,
I am having a problem with Anime Studio (Debut 9) and the bones specifically. I have added the bones and bound them to my character, added angle restrictions on a few of them. And thought I would be done. Then I noticed that, using the manipulate bone tool, If I moved any bone, for instance the arm, from a vertical position to an extended, or horizontal position. And the arm actually looked longer and thinner. I began studying it and the outstretched arm definitely is longer and thinner than the hanging arm. Any help would be appreciated, I am new to this software but I do not think I can find any setting that might make this occur. I can get pictures if that would help, but I do not know how to add the screenshots to the post.
Thanks for any help!
neeters_guy

Re: Bones are stretching my character

Post by neeters_guy »

This is probably caused by the bone strength influence. If your setup allows it, separate the parts and use the offset bone tool.

For screenshots, use a photo sharing service like photobucket and embed the url in your post.
LoganB

Post by LoganB »

Thanks, just so I do it right, I separate the individual bones and then I do not know how to use the offset bones tool?
LoganB

Post by LoganB »

I just watched a tutorial and it looks like the bone offset tool is just used so that you can keep the bones separated, in my character I used the bind points and bind layer tools and put the bones influence, strength, all the way down.
Any other suggestions?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Whatever works for you - there's no "one true way". But the Bone Offset tool is in fact for construction only, to be able to apply flexible binding to overlapping parts while still separate bone influence to them.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
LoganB

Post by LoganB »

I tried reconstructing my character using the bone offset tool, and it still stretched out the character. Any other suggestions?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

LoganB wrote:I tried reconstructing my character using the bone offset tool, and it still stretched out the character. Any other suggestions?
If you post a picture or share the file with the problem, it would be easier to understand your problem and try to help.
For both cases, I recommend you to use Dropbox to upload the files and share them as links.

PD: If you want to register to Dropbox, you can use this link http://db.tt/w8ZW4Lfa, that way you and me will receive 500mb of bonus space.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
arfa

Post by arfa »

If you are using point binding you may have missed some points - some are either not bound or linked to a bone you had not intended.
LoganB

Post by LoganB »

Selgin, I registered for dropbox and have put two pictures of my character, I only used the manipulate bone tool to move the arm. If anybody would like to see the tutorial I followed to rig my character here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MW55w3CVjU .

Arfa, I have rechecked my character and all the points have been bound to a bone, a few in the lower part of the upper arm are bound to the forearm bone, and some in the lower forearm are bound to the hand, just for a smoother look. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

LoganB wrote:Selgin, I registered for dropbox and have put two pictures of my character
LoganB, you must right click each file you put in dropbox and go to Dropbox>Copy Public link (or similar). Then paste each link here. That way we all can see your files.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
LoganB

Post by LoganB »

Photos Image
and Image
LoganB

Post by LoganB »

funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

maybe you're getting your tools mixed up... that bone is clearly lengthened with the bone scale tool! Stretching the character is what it's made for...
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

It looks like you are using the scale bone tool and not the manipulate bone tool.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
LoganB

Post by LoganB »

I am sure I am using the manipulate bones tool, I used just that tool in the pictures, I rotated the arm around the shoulder and it kind of gradually lengthened as it became horizontal. It seems to lengthen the hand more than the forearm and the forearm more than the shoulder.