patch - masking

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

arfa

patch - masking

Post by arfa »

scene - snake spirals upward around a tree. In front, then behind... etc.
I tried using a patch layer to hide when behind. It works brilliantly - except there seems no way to include tree outline in the patch. Am I missing a checkbox? Is there a setting somewhere?
If not I will add this to feature request.

I have resorted to a 'mechanical' patch which works but the patch layer is so quick and precise that it would be neat if it could include the outline.
I also tried 2 trees - front and behind. Also OK but the patch is a one-click-wonder :D

As an aside as part of my learning curve...
Is there a way to set up a masking layer(s) that would perform the patch trick - including outline?
The basic mask reveals on overlap. Is there a layer combination that has hide on overlap? I need to spend more time on learning masking and any suggestions here would be appreciated.
slowtiger

Re: patch - masking

Post by slowtiger »

The easiest solution is still to have the tree duplicated, then trim the top one so it only covers where needed. This can be done easily with a mask.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I think patch layers are a bad idea. For a start, they are circular. Also, you need to have lots of them I imagine. A simple mask with 'ignore outline' on should do the trick. I'll have a mess with it in a bit and see if I can send a solution... but the theory goes, you'd just have 'stripes' of mask on a single layer to obscure the 'back' portion of the snake - shouldn't be too much trouble (in theory :P)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

ah, crosspost with tiger - actually - his solution is probably simpler to get your head around and would work just as well.
arfa

Post by arfa »

Yes, layer duplication covers a lot of bases.
At the moment the tree has no texture but I am thinking it will and patches [better to read 'overlayed vector objects'] will most likely not line up the tex.

I will try visible/invisible toggle rather than altering the shape.
A simple mask with 'ignore outline' on should do the trick.
As I said I need to give more time to masking but if you have time to expand on this I would appreciate that.

An alternate shape for patch layers would be ideal but O is oK.
I would only have three.
Its quick and clean - apart from the outline. Actually it looks nicely weird with the head diving into the bark but I am bit off weird at the mo.

thx
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

So, this is one way of doing it... I didn't use the 'ignore strokes' as it didn't do what I wanted.
The tree is unmasked, and there's a rough mask masking the snake. The main advantage of this over patch layers is that I can make it any shape I want, so you dont NEED to exclude the stroke (just mask what you dont want and keep what you want) - this can also be animated same as any other layer. Also, it's a single layer, so easier to manage that multiple patches.

Group (Hide all)
-- snake (mask this layer)
-- MASK (add to mask but keep invisible)
-- background (don't mask)

Hope this is helpful! file here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?x67u9tuxw8r5v87
arfa

Post by arfa »

Exactly it...!
I got my version working quick enough from your example. Thank you for that.

Reading around I can see there are a few masking permutations I still need to explore.

> multiposting...
forum life is a curious reality. I admire the more 'seasoned' of you that have the patience. I guess to some extent you all need the cross-fertilisation and fresh input as much as I.

MoRe to come :lol:
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

:wink: