Scene Change?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

soconfused

Scene Change?

Post by soconfused »

I need to do a scene change and I'm not sure how to do it. Is it anything like doing a scene change in Flash?

-Kate
mr. blaaa

Re: Scene Change?

Post by mr. blaaa »

soconfused wrote:I need to do a scene change and I'm not sure how to do it. Is it anything like doing a scene change in Flash?
No there cant be multiple scenes in one project except you do this from frame x to the next.

The best way (well, it's the way i do it) is to edit the scenes in a video editing software.

If you have WinXP you can try it with the free "Windows Movie Maker".
The MAC users have a similar software, i rememper "spooze!" used it for his episodes but i forgot what was its name.

I personally prefer Adobe Premiere, but its very expansive. So try a free tool instead.
Iam sure other users can give you some hints if you use a MAC system.

Cheers :wink:
Regul8R

Post by Regul8R »

there are ways, make the layers invisible until your ready for the secne transition, reveal the hidden layers and hide the previous one.

alternatively, render each scene indivudually and combine with editing software

jay
Blessings for you, but none for me....
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

Regul8R wrote:there are ways, make the layers invisible until your ready for the secne transition, reveal the hidden layers and hide the previous one.
BTW: I know what you mean but its really... lets say "complex" to arrange this. But Kate shall try it out herself.
Nevertheless nice that you mentioned the moho internal variant i forgot :D
mwtoons

Post by mwtoons »

I am working on a toon now, and I have broken each scene up into seperate files. I am combining them in imovie (i am working on an ibook).
I make a project folder.
inside the project folder I have a folder for moho files and the file names are the scene or shot numbers.

Then I have a folder for Papagayo files, and one for the dat files that papagayo exports alsoi labeled by scene.

then another folder for the quicktime DV files I export from moho.

and one last folder for my audi files voice overs. I record those in garage band (mac OS X)

It works well for me numbering by scene number, then I can just refrence my storyboard when I need to edit or make a change to a clip.
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

mwtoons is on the right way :wink:
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Another alternative is to render out your scenes into mov or avi files, and then use moho itself to put the scenes together into a movie. I wouldn't recommend this unless you can't afford an editor like Premiere or iMovie or whatever. But I thought it was worth pointing out that even moho can be used as a video "editor".
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

jorgy wrote:Another alternative is to render out your scenes into mov or avi files, and then use moho itself to put the scenes together into a movie. I wouldn't recommend this unless you can't afford an editor like Premiere or iMovie or whatever. But I thought it was worth pointing out that even moho can be used as a video "editor".
Yes another possibility :D
myles

Post by myles »

Hello Kate,

Lots of good replies - here's another couple of alternatives:

If you need Flash output as the final product, somebody posted earlier that you can render out each shot as SWF, then import each SWF into its own scene within a single Flash file - I'm don't have Flash myself, so I can't confirm that.

I have tried the commandline utility swfcombine, from SWF Tools, which worked fine the couple of times I used it.

There was another post some time back where someone was trying the interesting idea of setting up each scene like a separate freestanding wall in Moho 3D space, and using the Moho 3D camera to jump between them, thus keeping all the scenes within one Moho file, but not using layer visibility to change scenes.

(My apologies to the two people people mentioned above for not keeping track of your names - speak up and claim the credit.)

Personally, I'm with the "video editor" group - you can use all Moho's features, some of which don't translate well to SWF (masking, soft edges, etc). Render each shot directly from Moho into AVI or Quicktime (use a lossless codec for these intermediate steps - I'd recommend the Animation codec at 100% quality for Quicktime, HuffYUV or Lagarith for AVI), then stitch the shots together in your favorite video editor. Render from the video editor to a final compact (lossy) codec.

Almost any video editor should be fine, including the free ones that come with the OS - Windows Movie Maker or Apple iMovie. My personal favorite is Sony's Vegas Movie Studio (or the Platinum edition) - not overly expensive and amongst other things it handles the video alpha channel created by Moho. Pure Motion EditStudiois another good choice (use chromakeying instead of the alpha channel).

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx