Switch layers smooth transition & stopping the walk cycle

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kirkshoe

Switch layers smooth transition & stopping the walk cycle

Post by kirkshoe »

1. When working with characters created with the Character wizard, is there a way to create a smooth transition when changing switch layers, for example... when I want the character to turn slowly (and smoothly) from front view to back view. I have tried using the "Interpolate sub-layers" option in the main switch layer group for the character, however it had no effect... the character switches abruptly from one view to another with no transition in between.

2. After inserting a walk cycle for a Character Wizard character at a specific point, what is the best way to stop the walk cycle when the character has reached the desired destination.

Regards,
Kirk
neeters_guy

Re: Switch layers smooth transition & stopping the walk cycl

Post by neeters_guy »

You can't interpolate between views with CW characters. Each view is a separate rig. The trick to a smooth transition between switched views is to 1) match the pose between views when you make the switch and 2) add some anticipation before and follow through after to hide the switch. Most turns, whether head or body, is done quickly...just a couple frames will work. This example shows a side-->3/4 front-->front switch. I also added stretch-n-squash and changed expression to further hide the switch.

A smooth slow turn is possible, but it's a more involved technique using a combination of point motion and layer sorting.

You can stop the walk cycle by keyframing the bones at the desired frame.
kirkshoe

Post by kirkshoe »

Your switch was very well done, making it seem seamless. Being a novice at animation and Anime Studio, keyframing that flurry of "anticipation" into the switch is quite a challenge, but I shall persevere and perfect my skills. Thanks for the example and your assistance.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Thanks. I realize it's hard to deconstruct the gif. Here's a frame-by-frame grab of the animation so you can see what's going on.

Bossco

Post by Bossco »

Very clever neeters_guy.

I see that matching up the arm position and their motion takes your eye away from the switch of the body taking place.
It's that overlap of motions which masks what's going on so effectively.