FONTS not available?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DVTVFilm

FONTS not available?

Post by DVTVFilm »

I need to use 2 fonts for a project:

Adobe Caslon Pro and Helvetica Condensed Black.

both are on my iMac (FONT BOOK verified) -- but Anime Studio Pro 9 doesn't see them for some reason.

Can this issue be resolved easily?

kind regards

TODD
Poptoogi

Re: FONTS not available?

Post by Poptoogi »

I'm not sure if anime studio only allows certain fonts to be used within it's program but I've had issues with certain fonts as well. While not the best solution to you problem, one way you can get certain fonts into as is to open them in Illustrator or some other vector based program that allows you to convert text to paths (and or shapes). This will make your words into shapes that can be imported in anime studio. HOWEVER, they will be non editable AND depending on the font, they might take up a lot of memory because this process adds a lot more vertices than just having typed in text. I know, it's not the best solution but if you absolutely must use a specific font, it's worth a shot. Oh and if you happen to export from illustrator make sure you export it to Illustrator version 8. I don't know why but AS doesn't like newer illustrator files. If I find out any more on the issue of getting those fonts to work I'll let you know.
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

Hi guyver93 --thanks for the possible work-around... I'll definitely give that a try.

...hopefully someone will know if only certain fonts are allowable. The Helvetica family is pretty basic stuff, so I hope this is not a limitation of ASP9.

many thanks

TODD
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Fonts come in different file formats. TrueType fonts should work on most systems (PC and Mac). Postscript Type 1 fonts are not recognized by some programs, mainly the cross-platform ones like AS or TVPaint.

As long as you don't animate the single letters (deformations), I reccomend to render the text in good resolution in some bitmap program and import as PNG with Alpha.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

Hello Slow Tiger,

The True Type/Postscript thing crossed my mind initially...

PostScript name ACaslonPro-Regular
Full name Adobe Caslon Pro
Family Adobe Caslon Pro
Style Regular
Kind OpenType PostScript

PostScript name HelveticaNeue-CondensedBlack
Full name Helvetica Neue Condensed Black
Family Helvetica Neue
Style Condensed Black
Kind TrueType

... but these are of the 2 categories-- and ASP9 does not display them as choices.

I will likely make the PNGs in Photoshop since the letters do not need to be individually animated for this element of the project.

Many thanks

TODD
rocky53204

Post by rocky53204 »

I installed some 'true type' decorative fonts which did not show up in AS Pro 9.2 until I re-started my machine. (MS Windows 7)
When they did show up they had an added prefix, (which makes a different name) but, they then did appear in AS Pro 9.2.
(Just hard to find initially.)