Head fills, body won't! :)

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kilerb

Head fills, body won't! :)

Post by kilerb »

I think i posted this in the wrong area origninally. I made a character in Moho… I made an oval head and basically drew points to make the body. I made the entire bottom portion (arms, torso, and legs) basically as one continuous shape. In other words, I have a bunch of points that connect as an outline around the entire body (torso, arms, and legs again,) and it connects again where I started it. When I select all the points that make up the head, I get the checkerboard so I can fill, but when I select all the body points, I don’t get the checkerboard. I had the head touching it at first, and thought that might be messing it up, so I removed it and resealed the top by his neck to see if I could fill it in after that, and it still doesn’t make the checkerboard. Any idea why I can’t fill in his body with a color? Should I be doing this a different way? Not 1 continuous connection of points to make up the entire body?

Thanks a lot!
mr. blaaa

Re: Head fills, body won't! :)

Post by mr. blaaa »

kilerb wrote:...but when I select all the body points, I don’t get the checkerboard, so I can't fill. Any idea why I can’t fill in his body with a color? Should I be doing this a different way? Not 1 continuous connection to make up the body?
Thanks a lot!
Alright this is a really simple problem. The thing is that u propably created at least two points at the same location or you caused some other "moho bugs". To find out where this is can be tricky.

The solution is to create the different body parts in their own group/bone layers.
This does avoid such "unfillable shapes" and makes animation at a later point and/or bone binding a lot easyier and comfortable.

So the best thing is, you split the character up in Body Parts.
(Also can be found in the moho manual).

If you got any question just let me know.

Cheers 8)
Regul8R

Post by Regul8R »

it actually sounds like you never "sealed" the join, ie press spacebar to join the points. check each point is joined to the next one, moho only fills continuous lines. if that makes sense lol

jay b
Blessings for you, but none for me....
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

I thought he had already filled the head shape?! So he might know how to fill and that moho only can fill continuous lines...

I hope he knows^^ :D
kilerb

check out this link

Post by kilerb »

Hi, I did a print screen of the program to show you what I'm doing. You can see i moved it away from the bones for a minute just to make sure that didn't effect the fill... Here's the link
http://www.breakintocomedy.com/moho.jpg

I hit the space bar after I selected all the points and made them red. As you can see it outlined it in red (I guess this is standard.) and if you look to the right you can see the "enable fill" box is checked but greyed out. I don't see any points that are on top of each other, but i'll look closer into that now. If you can look at this image and see what i'm doing wrong, let me know. It could very well be a really dumb mistake! :oops:
kilerb

Post by kilerb »

Just figured it out! Thanks to your comments above. There were not points on top of each other, but there were 2 lines between a couple points i think. Now i just have to figure out how to make a background, a face on this guy, and make him move! :)
Last edited by kilerb on Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

Did you read my first post?

I said you may have TWO points at the same location overlaying each other.

Can you upload your moho file instead of this screenshot?
I understood your problem and i had the same picture in mind that you uploaded.

Please upload the source file, i will find the error FOR YOU and will show you why and where.
kilerb

Post by kilerb »

Hi Mr. Blaa... Thanks a lot for the offer, but I actually figured it out thanks to your suggestion above.
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

haha, clever guy. edited the post before and now iam the dude :lol:

always if this happens (like you discribed above) take a zoomed-in look at EACH point. Yes, lines between also can cause trouble. SO its good to take a very close look if this happens again... :wink:
kilerb

Post by kilerb »

Thanks... What are the advantages to making seperate arms legs and body parts over one big body the way i did it?
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

kilerb wrote:Thanks... What are the advantages to making seperate arms legs and body parts over one big body the way i did it?
Making a character all in one layer is full of disadvantages.
E.g. bone binding and lateron animation by using bones is much more difficult than animating and binding seperate parts of the body.

I fooled around a bit with moho (3 hours or so) today and made a little "cheap" animation.

Ill upload it when i got time and post it in the share your work section.

I will show you what i mean then.