Pouring water from a pan?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DrGhaedi

Pouring water from a pan?

Post by DrGhaedi »

I was wondering if some of you had some any suggestions as to how to go about animating water being poured out of a pot into a character's mouth?

Have been heavily using Anime Studio, both personally and semi-professionally now for 7 months and am looking to improve my skills and understanding the program at a much deeper level. I'm open to anything. Thanks a bunch...
just because nobody understands you does not make you an artist
Imago

Re: Pouring water from a pan?

Post by Imago »

There is a couple of methods to do what you want.
One: Layer position.
You can build the char to "put" the fluid between the "front" layer that contains all the visible layers and the "back" layer that contains all the layers hidden bay "front" one. It's the fastest way, but in some case it can bring some problem, e.g. in extremely complex rigged setups.

Two: Masking.
Create a mask that "hide" the fluid from the can to the mouth. You need a good knowledge of masking (that kills me!) but you can make a good effect.

Three: particles.
It's good for a comical effect. You can create the particle layer to "spray" the fluid in to char's mouth. With the right setup you can make the fluid appear near the can and disappear in the char mouth.

If you are a bit used to AS you can easily follow one of this methods.
If you need morfe help, I can make simple .anme examples.
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
DrGhaedi

Post by DrGhaedi »

Hey, thank you for the response. Really appreciate that.
Never thought about using particles although I did use them in my clip to stimulate steam; tend to use particles for small aggregates of macroscopic things, like crowds of people as it's not so processor intensive.
Am probably going to stick with the second approach via masking as I'm very comfortable using them; why do people struggle so much with them? :?: :? :?:
just because nobody understands you does not make you an artist
Imago

Post by Imago »

DrGhaedi wrote:Hey, thank you for the response. Really appreciate that.
Never thought about using particles although I did use them in my clip to stimulate steam; tend to use particles for small aggregates of macroscopic things, like crowds of people as it's not so processor intensive.
Am probably going to stick with the second approach via masking as I'm very comfortable using them; why do people struggle so much with them? :?: :? :?:
Sometimes is a pain in the ass, expecially when you have already made a complex char with many layers and you notice you need a masking somewhere...
Often I prefer redo the entire char than "face" the masking option!

I save lots of time "strugling" once with it and then save it as "preset" particle, like the bundled ones.
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q