Layer shadows...in stereoscopic 3D

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

simplecarnival

Layer shadows...in stereoscopic 3D

Post by simplecarnival »

Is there a way to do something exactly like layer shadows, except place the shadow somewhere in the 3D (stereoscopic) space?

For example, if I have a layer and I use the layer shadow feature, it will put the shadow on the exact same plane as the layer. This would be fine if I were working in 2D, but I am working in stereoscopic 3D and it looks weird to have a shadow on the exact same plane as the layer.

The only workaround I can think of involves duplicating an object whose animation I'm happy with, push the layer deeper into the 3D space, resize it, make it totally black, then turn on the layer blur and adjust opacity to taste. The problem is, if I were to move the front object, the shadow would need to be moved as well. If I were to put them both in a group and move the group, the front object and the shadow will not move together as they would in the layer shadow feature -- the shadow would lag behind in strange ways (for a shadow).

I'm thinking there must be some other way to accomplish this with less pain than the workaround I described, but I'm at a loss to think of what it is. Any suggestions? I'm using Anime Studio 7 Pro.
2ner

Re: Layer shadows...in stereoscopic 3D

Post by 2ner »

Try to copy the layer as you say, then rotate it -90deg. around the X axis.