Welded additional lines not selected. ASPro 5

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Peter Jackson

Welded additional lines not selected. ASPro 5

Post by Peter Jackson »

I have experienced the problem of welded additional lines not being "adopted" as an integral part of the drawing. For example, I was drawing a simple hand - thumb and 3 fingers. I started with a simple outline like a mitten glove. When the overall shape was OK, I then used the freehand drawing tool with Auto-outline, Auto-weld and "Taper end" selected, to draw two additional lines to divide the wide part into fingers. The audible "click" told me they had welded and I double checked by moving the point at the weld.

When I used the Select Points tool, it highlights the original outline, but never includes the added internal lines. If I want to move the hand in any way, I always have to use Shift with Select Points, to include them.

Why is this? I thought that any welded lines became integrated into the drawing. I tried clearing the fill and re-creating it but that did not work. Or is there some dodge that I have not come across that will adopt the later lines as an integral part of the drawing?
sbtamu

Re: Welded additional lines not selected. ASPro 5

Post by sbtamu »

You can always select all the points like you said and then name that as a group so you do not have to constantly loop the entire hand each time. You can just select that group from the translate point tool.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Assuming this works in AS5 (really, it's time to upgrade! Lol) just select a single point, then hit tab to select all connected.
Peter Jackson

Post by Peter Jackson »

Thanks for the reminder - I had completely forgotten that one. I though I knew my way round Anime, but I haven't used it for quite some time. Just tried it on the "hand" and of course it works. What I was hoping for was a more permanent integration, so I don't have to remember to hold the <TAB> key.

Re upgrades, I have AS Pro 6 and Debut 8. I don't like the changes and feature that disappeared between 5 and 6. They will be there somewhere, but I don't want to hunt around for tools that were in logical places before. The only good new feature in AS Pro 6 that I found really useful, was the "eyedropper" for picking a colour from the Preview window.

I looked at the Character Wizard in Debut for my "workman" character, but found nothing I could use. Having drawn my own character in AS Pro 5, I imported him into AS Pro 6, to dabble with the (old) upgrade. In next to no time, I had Points moving uncontrollably on the screen, so I abandoned it. And I detest this "modern" grey on grey interface - another unnecessary "improvement". I don't want to save animations in different versions as they are never compatible, so it's back to good old version 5 for me.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Ha, I never knew the Tab button would select everything. Good tip Funks, Thanks!
Last edited by sbtamu on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Even Synthsin didn't know about it the other week! It must be an undocumented feature (or glazed over) - I guess I just learned it by bashing the keyboard like a monkey when first learning moho.

Peter, you don't need to 'hold' tab, just tap it once... but you could do as sbtamu suggested and save a selection - though going to the drop down and selecting it is probably the same or more clicks than tapping on a point and hitting tab :P

It could be argued that you can live without the new stuff between v5-8, but v9 is worth the upgrade imho!
Peter Jackson

Post by Peter Jackson »

Having forgotten since the Tutorial days, I have been Lassoing Points and adding/subtracting with the Shift key. When I tried Tab, using Shift with it was a reflex action. I did discover afterwards that pressing Tab was all that was necessary. When I did this on the outline of the character, a short line representing a crease in his clothing did not highlight. When I zoomed in, I found that the end of the "crease" line had not welded to the outline. Not very significant in this particular case, but using Tab turned out to be useful as a check on such things. If I had Translated the Points, the "crease " would be left behind.