Can a vector layer be sent to CAD program?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rogermate

Can a vector layer be sent to CAD program?

Post by rogermate »

This is gonna sound like it's from way out in left field, but could a vector layer from AS Pro somehow be "sent" to a CAD program?

Here's the issue. Definitely not the usual animation task but here we go.

I've got a high resolution scan of my previously surveyed ($) property boundaries which are drawn to scale. I'd like to retrace the property lines in AS Pro cause the drawing tools are killer and I'm quick. I'd like to then use that vector data to make an AutoCad type file. So I don't need to pay for doing the whole thing over, the proposed changes could just be made to the file.

Ideas on open source CAD programs welcome too.

Oh, and if this works, the next step will be to 3D print animation characters - LOL
funksmaname

Re: Can a vector layer be sent to CAD program?

Post by funksmaname »

I think you're barking up the wrong tree... I would take a look at Google Sketchup - AS drawing tools aren't precise enough for this sort of work
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

I'm not looking to be perfectly precise.

Having said that, would Sketchup allow that sort of work?
Can Sketchup export to a standard CAD file?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I believe so.
I think the problem you would have with AS > CAD workflow is that AS curves are so unique/different to other programs. Sketchup should allow these export formats and can be extremely precise (its also great fun! check it out, you just extrude walls out of simple rectangles and such... its very cool)
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Oh yeah the AS curves are different.

I was just thinking of the straight lines. It's so easy to trace in AS.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

seriously try sketchup - you can trace the plan really easily, drawing rectabgles, join rectangles, simply delete the partition line where they join, pick another tool and pull it creates a 3D wall... I wouldn't waste your time trying to do this with AS unless i've missed the point of what you're trying to do!
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

funksmaname wrote:the point of what you're trying to do!
The main point is to avoid paying for more software, and to minimize learning yet another application. I think AS can be as accurate as I need, and the export of straight lines in 2D I hoped could be imported by someones CAD program.

I've tried looking at Sketchup, but the free version can't export and has other limitations. And while the easy stuff is very easy, it just seemed to get really deep and involved. Maybe 3D CAD requires that level of complexity. I had the same aversion to Blender, by the way.

I've only got so many brain cells left...