Lighting?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sargumphigaus

Lighting?

Post by sargumphigaus »

Does this program have a lighting system in it? I thought I'd delve more into details with my poorly drawn backgrounds I use in my cartoons...you know, to make them seem less poor...I've seen some videos where people really get a good lighting effect going and i'm wondering if that's part of a tool I can't seem to find, or are they just really really good at creating a light effect?
slowtiger

Re: Lighting?

Post by slowtiger »

Those people draw them that way.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

you might like to try experimenting with blend modes - draw your scene then have a vector layer on top that has a semi-transparent white shape and use "Screen" blend mode -- that will lighten the area under the shape; a semi-transparent black shape with "Multiply" blend mode will darken...
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

Hi sargumpigaus,

There are a few different things you can try when you're trying to achieve some lighting effects. One is to use the shading effect on layers. This will add a darker color to your objects in the layer. Fiddle with the setting to get the effect you want. As for adding lights to you overall project you might also want to try using masks or as hayasidist said, experiment with the blending modes to get the effect your looking for. Here are a couple of videos I made that might help as well. The first one shows (go to 1:08) just what hayasidist is talking about. I put some white objects on a layer above the character and set the blending mode to overlay and made the white a little transparent. This gives the illusion of light being cast on the figure. The second video shows how using a png with a transparency and blending modes creates a similar spotlight effect. Notice that in the second one that the pngs look and react differently with the background once they are rendered!! The 3rd video shows how using a shape with a hole in it and blending modes can also create an illusion of light. Hope these help!!!

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

thanks friend. I appreciate it.
rocky53204

Post by rocky53204 »

The sometimes subtle effects of layer blending modes...
The orientation is deliberate so you can print it for future reference.

exile

Post by exile »

Great stuff, worth going through more than once. Thanks for posting, guyver and rocky.
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com