How do I animate with real images

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sargumphigaus

How do I animate with real images

Post by sargumphigaus »

I'm working on a video where I want to make a silly demonstration about the irrational behavior of my roomates cats. I don't just want to build the cats up from scratch, Instead I want to take actual pictures of them, divide each limb and body part of the actual photograph and turn them into seperate bone portions and make them move around as if the picture itself has come to life in a horrendously fake fashion. Kind of like how Terry Gilliam does it in Monti Python's flying circus.

Is this possible in ASP8 and if so, does anyone know a general method of approaching this?
funksmaname

Re: How do I animate with real images

Post by funksmaname »

You pretty much describe the method you need to take - just prepare the parts in photoshop first and bring them in as separate layers...
In the recently published webinar Selgin gives some good tips on rigging images (he shows how you rig a doll arm) - should give you all you need to be able to do this.

Minute 48 is where it starts, but the rest is also useful!
(video wouldn't embed :S)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU-GY ... DE#t=2903s
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

A couple of follow up questions to your suggestion.

1. Can you make the layer in photoshop translate over to the image as a layer and not a simple picture with the intrusive white square background>

2. Is this possible to do with microsoft pain as well (I don't have photoshop)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I would get GIMP, its free, and has a lot of photoshop like functionality (i'm told)
I'm not certain MS paint supports transparency... you need to use something that supports PNG24 (or 32bit if you're slowtiger hehe) support - which includes an alpha channel so you get full transparency support (not just ON/OFF like a gif, but actual gradiated transparency) so no ugly white boxes.
Check the video I posted, you'll see the arm is on a completely transparent background.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Here is a simple demo to combine the images, If you still have trouble let me know and I will show you how to erase the background and separate each part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRFkpSEcToA
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

that's one ugly a** sqwirl!
:)
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

I think this should be everything I need. I'm at work at the moment, but when I get home, I'm going to try and grab that program you mentioned. I'll post the results several weeks from now, depending on my motivation/attention span

Thanks for your help gentlemen. You guys are alright in my book.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

hey, thanks alot for sharing that webinar video with me. I watched the whole thing, and it turned my approach completely around for the better.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

sargumphigaus wrote:hey, thanks alot for sharing that webinar video with me. I watched the whole thing, and it turned my approach completely around for the better.
I'm glad you find the webinar useful, thanks for watching it :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

Hey sargumphigaus,

Just wanted to let you know that you can cut apart apart a picture in anime studio without the need for another program like photoshop. I made a real crappy tutorial on how to do this that might help if you want to do the cutout part in AS. The first tutorial is just how to cut out a picture precisely in AS and the second shows you how to use masks and duplicate images of a picture to make parts. I'm sure you've probably already started using another technique but hey, it doesn't hurt to know how to do it this way as well!

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!