How Can I Make A Layer Object Transparent?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

voxac50

How Can I Make A Layer Object Transparent?

Post by voxac50 »

I would like to be able to adjust the transparency of an object, meaning an outline with a solid fill color. I want to be able to draw lines within that object that relate to the selected layer and the one behind it. So far I am having to move the layer object out of the way, add my lines, and move the object back and re-align it. I tried adjusting opacity under compositing effects in the "General" layer tab, but the layer remains opaque at frame zero. I am used to adjusting layer transparency with a slider in Photoshop. Are there any equivalents in Anime Studio?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

You can switch off a layer's visibility temporarily, it's the eye icon on the layer tab.
voxac50

Post by voxac50 »

Thanks, I will try switching off the layer. But it would be helpful if I could retain the image in the layer, but make it transparent, as a ghost image, allowing me to see it and the image in the layer below it. Is this not possible?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Layer transparency for images is showed only when the animation is rendered. You could try save your image as png with low opacity, that should work.
Also, you can try with the image masking tool. With this you can hide the fill of an image and see only the borders. It doesn't work with opacity, but could work for what you are trying to do.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Another tip courtesy of selgin: If it's a vector layer...

1) go the layer palette,
2) click on the down triangle and
3) on the flyout menu, under Details,
4) check the Path checkbox.

It should now show as a ghost outline when you are in other layers.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

I believe that's only in the Pro version Neeters. If they have the Pro version, they could adjust the opacity in the layers properties menu but the Debut version won't allow you to do that. I just checked both versions.
jonobugs

Re: How Can I Make A Layer Object Transparent?

Post by jonobugs »

I know this post is quite late, but in case someone else out there is looking I found the answer to this question.

On your layer's tab (right side by default) Click on the layer settings (the 3 dots ...). Select the Opacity setting and change 100% to whatever transparency setting you want. 25-30% is usually good enough to see the image but still be able to view the layer on top more clearly.
danielluz

Re: How Can I Make A Layer Object Transparent?

Post by danielluz »

Hi Guys,

Another option, if you want to have a solid stroke at 100% opacity, but have 50% opacity for the Fill, click on the top left Fill Colour Swatch - once the Colour Picker opens up, you will see there is an Alpha setting to the right of the box, just below the Red, Green and Blue number inputs.

Hope that helps!