Difficulty with character hair / head bone setup

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

satanictesticles

Difficulty with character hair / head bone setup

Post by satanictesticles »

Hi,

I'm using .PNG images for a character. The head + hair is on one image. In my bone setup, I currently only have one bone which controls the head+hair image. I used the "bind layer" option to get the bone to control this image.

Now, for some of the characters hair, I want to use bone dynamics to make it look more natural when the head moves.

Because the hair/head is currently under the "bind layer" option, when I add more bones within the hair section of the image (using the bone through the characters head as the parent), when manipulated - the extra bones, supposedly to control the hair, control the entire head instead.

What am I doing wrong here, and is there a way around it without having to re-do my character to have hair + head on seperate layers (this would have been sensible to begin with, I know! :roll: )
Sevenmile

Post by Sevenmile »

Hi!
I threw together a very ugly (go mspaint, go!) example of what I think might be a solution:
http://hem.passagen.se/yipieee/dynamic.zip

If you translate the head + hair image layer and it's bone away from the rest of the character, chose "warp using bones" (double-click on image -> image -> check warp using bones) instead of binding it to the bone and then put the head back where it belongs using offset bone, it might give the result you want... Hope it helps. Please correct me if I'm wrong :wink: