SVG Import in ASP 8.1

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

idragosani

SVG Import in ASP 8.1

Post by idragosani »

Using ASP 8.1 and importing SVG made in Inkscape. The SVG was created from text. When importing into ASP, the "holes" in letters like P e and o are separate shapes stacked on top of one underneath, so the hole is a solid filled shape with a stroke outline rather than empty space in the object (they were empty in Inkscape, you could see through them if you moved the object around). Is there a way to use the top shape to cut a "hole" into the underlying shape (like a boolean operation)? Or is something amiss in the SVG import?
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
Anime Studio Pro 8.1 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 11.04 : Cintiq 12wx
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This is a common problem in file exchange between vector programs. The technical reason is the ill-fitting direction of the inner curve: to create a hole it must be in the opposite direction of the outer curve.

Different programs have different means to correct this (or none), in AS I think you can erase the shape (so the bare curves remain), then select inner and outer curve together and create a new shape.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You don't have to erase the whole shape. You can just 'break' both shapes, join them up again, and then do your selection thing.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

I think there was an issue with the font itself (a truetype), I tried re-creating my graphic completely inside ASP (rather than using SVG one) and ran into the exact same issue. I ultimately ended up using a different font altogether that behaved better :-)
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
Anime Studio Pro 8.1 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 11.04 : Cintiq 12wx
chucky

Post by chucky »

I don't know if this will work on your file but I get better results if I Select the paths in inkscape and use the union function , you may find various holes and intersections work properly in AS