Bone Strength in "Single Layer Characters"

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mick

Bone Strength in "Single Layer Characters"

Post by Mick »

I think I'm missing a "basic concept" that I have not been able to pull from the manual.

I want to create a character, "fully contained" in a single layer. Something along the lines of "Lenny"... that I find in my default library.

My problem is... I can't seem to figure out how to get movement in the arms to stop "pulling on the points" in my torso. I've looked at the "Bone Strength" and "Binding Mode" settings in "Lenny", and have tried to duplicate them in my own characters... but movement of the arms keeps effecting the points in the torso and legs of my new character.

Why does it work so well, in the Lenny Character. When I move Lenny's arms across his body, the torso points are not effected. Lenny is a single layer character, set up with "flexible binding"... and when I move the arms around, the points in the torso and legs do not move even the slightest.

If I create a simple, single layer character, and keep the default "flexible binding"... moving the arms also moves the points in my torso. How do I isolate the movement of the different shapes, without having to create separate layers for each of them.

It's gotta be something simple... I'm just not seeing.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

You can use bone strength or manually bind specific points to specific bones.
If you are using bone strength, you must separate your character parts far each other, in order to avoid crossed strengths. Once it's working, use the offset bone tool to put all together.

Check this:
http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/manual/t ... index.html
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Mick

Post by Mick »

Thanks for taking the time to point that out. It made all the difference. The "Offset Bone" tool is not covered very well in the Manual. :D