exporting problem

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

alevinson

exporting problem

Post by alevinson »

I have tried to export my animation (12,000 frames) to both quicktime and AVI. Each time I get this runtime error message:
"This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact application's support team for more information". Also my HP computer has been running very slow when I do animations. Although when I play the animation it plays it fine. I have 6Gb integrated ram memory with 1 Tb hard disc memory.
Does anyone know why I am having this problem? I have exported shorter animations to Quicktime and AVI successfully in the past.
alevinson
kaboom

Post by kaboom »

i'm having the same issue. any resolution?
kaboom

Post by kaboom »

kaboom wrote:i'm having the same issue. any resolution?
My other option was to change the export to another format. I tried swf, but after about an hour of rendering, I got an error and no file was created.

Then I tried rendering at half frame rate and half dimensions, but my output was awful. When I get home I'll double the size of my animation, then try rendering at half the dimensions and hopefully this can be a workaround.

Are there any other experts on this site that can help me find a workaround? My video is 10200 frames long. I get a feeling that there's a threshhold at 10,000 (maybe a hardcoded array size, who knows???). Any advise?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

My advice would be to divide the animation into a number of much smaller sections, export png sequences which you can import into a compositing program such as After Effects (where you can also add the soundtrack), and export from there. Trying to export ten thousad frames is just making a lot of problems for yourself.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Render problems: I'm not sure how much memory AS renderer tries to grab and what it does when it hits task size / available memory limits, but I've had "very strange" things happen when pushing the 4Gb task memory allocation threshold... (early windows had a 2Gb task memory limit - I think AS is a 32 bit application so that will be 4Gb limit?!) Also, if your HDD is FAT32 format (not NTFS) then "large" output file sizes (>4Gb) are not supported and trying to create them can cause chaos.

The size of file you're trying to create will depend on image size and frame rate and compression technique (codec). so, all other things being equal, a 1000*1000 pixel image will be 4 times bigger than a 500*500 before compression.

My own approach is the same as jahnocli -- to create small AS files (rarely longer than 10-15 secs) and assemble the output in a video editor.
kaboom

Post by kaboom »

Thanks for the responses. I've never used after effects, I'll have to do research to see if it's cheap or free.

Before I use after effects, I'll try chopping down the file size as much as possible, hopefully I'll get it below 10,000 and see if I can render that. I can wait the hour and a half for the video to render.

I'll keep you guys posted.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

AE isn't what I'd call cheap! Premiere Elements is about USD 100 (but shop around, there are always deals for it; and for it bundled with Photoshop Elements). Or (assuming you're windows) Windows MovieMaker might do what you need.

We're not saying chop the AS file to fewer frames. You can keep your AS file "as is" and render portions: e.g. frames 1-999; 1000-1999 etc ... choose the "break" to make compositing easy. But, as a principle, "next time", it's usually better to have more and smaller AS files
kaboom

Post by kaboom »

hayasidist wrote:AE isn't what I'd call cheap! Premiere Elements is about USD 100 (but shop around, there are always deals for it; and for it bundled with Photoshop Elements). Or (assuming you're windows) Windows MovieMaker might do what you need.

We're not saying chop the AS file to fewer frames. You can keep your AS file "as is" and render portions: e.g. frames 1-999; 1000-1999 etc ... choose the "break" to make compositing easy. But, as a principle, "next time", it's usually better to have more and smaller AS files
where do I "chose the break" option?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

You "break" your animation in smaller chunks simply by typing in the frame numbers in the export panel: start frame and end frame.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

... and choose the "break" frame at a sensible place in your action - e.g. where there's a whole scene step change or whole scene freeze frame.

It can sometimes help to have a "few" frames overlap -- e.g. 1-965 in pass 1 then 960-1900 in pass 2 etc etc which you can use or lose when compositing - maybe if you wanted to do a transition such as cross fade ...
grznbch

Re: exporting problem

Post by grznbch »

This is an elder topic. I don't know if I ask here or rather start a new topic.
I got the same "run time error" problem exporting a small 240 frame animation including a mp3 audio layer. (After failing with a mp4 and avi video layer before, I shrinked it to mp3.) The computer is powerful with Core i7-16 GB RAM ...
I read in another post, that the sound has to be taken out before rendering in AS7 (viewtopic.php?t=17921). Is the problem still the same?
Do I have to take the audio out before rendering?
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

Hi all.

Perhaps i have the solution.
I think the extra-smooth images in the render options cause some issues, and it's only on PC version.
2 of my files are affected by that, the first one have graphical bugs, and the second literaly crash when i tried to do a render.
A friend of mine to tested my files on his Mac with Windows and with OSX, and the renders of OSX are done with no problems, not the tests under Windows.
Uncheck this option and test a render to see if it work, and if it work, we must repport the bug to the Smith Micro support.

Best regards
grznbch

Post by grznbch »

Thank you Lychee,
I tried the extra-smooth images. Export as .avi did not crash, but did not do anything. As .mov runtime error as ever. both with Animation compression.
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

It is as though its does not, but let the rendering to the end, it finish to creating a video normally.
grznbch

Post by grznbch »

Thanks to your reply, Lychee, I tried it again. Now it works with either .mov or .mp3 file integrated. With or without extra-smooth image. I did not activate multithread. ??? - The OK setting is Quicktime / SorensenVideo3 Compression. One gets confused with too much possibilities, and with the instructions too. It is fast too. Double time more or less.