Transparency in a gradient or a mask

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JCook

Transparency in a gradient or a mask

Post by JCook »

I'm trying to make an object that will be full color at one end, fading to transparent at the other end. Not animated transparency, but a gradient to transparency, from full alpha to 0 alpha. I've tried masking with a soft edge and it doesn't achieve the effect I want. I also tried giving the object a gradient fill, with solid color on one end, and the same color transparent on the other, but the transparency doesn't come through in the gradient. Is there a way to do this at all? I'm using ASPro 7.

thanks,
Jack
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

You can do this with masks.

Create one vector layer with one shape, a filled circle. Set this layer's blur value to something high, like 50. Place this layer under your object so the solid center is where your object will be solid, and the transparent fade where you need it. Scale this layer as needed. (You'll need to render this to see the blur in effect.)

If necessary, create another vector layer with another shape for the other solid parts of your object, if needed.

Put all in a group or bone layer. Set the two mask layers to "add to mask, but keep invisible". Set your object to "mask this layer". Set the group layer to "Hide all". Voila.

You can also prepare a linear fade to transparent in Photoshop or Gimp and save it as PNG, this can be used as mask in AS as well.
JCook

Post by JCook »

Thanks, slowtiger, that works! I was trying to do it using the soft edge effect but it wasn't working; hadn't thought of using the blur. Also, I didn't know you could use two masks at once - that's brilliant.

thanks,
Jack