Notched line

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jjwinks

Notched line

Post by jjwinks »

Hey,

Does anyone have an idea why occasionally I've got lines that get notchy like this driveway and the guy in blue's leg:

cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Anti-aliasing issue, I'm guessing.
I'm not across any issues like this in AS but it'll be to do with how AS draws it's vectors.
Basically the angle and the thickness of your strokes will affect this.

What's your project size? Try setting to a higher resolution and exporting a frame and see how it looks.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I used your image as a tracing image and drew the lines the same but could not replicate in either 6 ot 8.

Any way You could post the file, or at least the offending part so We can have a look?
jjwinks

Post by jjwinks »

The resolution in the pic is 720P... I can change the resolution with no effect.

Here is the file

http://www.mediafire.com/?9yy6mrg5na1m2m9
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Downloaded file and lines have the "jaggies" when I load in 7 and 8, and same deal on both when I render. Don't have time to upload my renders right now, but will do when I get back from work.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Of course this effect is a glitch and shouldn't be there.

But you could work around this: you don't need these lines to be that prominent anyway. Make them just gray, a bit thicker, and maybe blur them a bit.

And since this is just a background, you could render it and do the missing lines in a bitmap program, then re-import this to AS. This has the nice effect that the scen will render faster.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

No wonder your file renders weird, You have 10 fills on those lines, actually You got way too many fills on top of each other on pretty much all part of the scene, took me an hour to fix it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pxnsz2mdveb2ljx

You need to be carefull with double, and in this case much more then double-fills.

This is something that needs fixing in AS.

The scene renders perfect now!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

May I guess how this happens:

You work with "new shape" rather than "select shape" everytime you want to change something?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

slowtiger wrote:May I guess how this happens:

You work with "new shape" rather than "select shape" everytime you want to change something?
My guess as well!
jjwinks

Post by jjwinks »

slowtiger wrote:May I guess how this happens:

That sounds about right. So, It would appear that I have this same issue randomly all over my projects. What is the proper fix? Will simply deleting a line, redrawing the line, and placing a new fill fix it?

Thanks for all your help everyone!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Yes, that is how I fixed it, You select the fill with the fill select tool, copy the fill, delete all the offending fills, redo them using the paste command!

This way You re-apply the same fills!
jjwinks

Post by jjwinks »

So, deleting with the select shape tool seems to work. I seem to have these problems all over the place, but only in projects that I started with Debut 7. All of my 8 Pro stuff looks good. Either this was fixed in 8, or I stopped doing the offending overfilling/Lining.

In any case, I really appreciate you all taking a look at this for me.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I posted the fixed file, and this is not an actual problem with the software but a workflow problem.

As slowtiger mentioned, you probably used the new shape tool instead of the select shape tool.

The new shape tool(U) will build a fill on top of the previous one, while the select shape tool(Q) actually select the existing fill and allows You to modify it.

Still, this behavior of being able to having two or more fills on top of each other should be removed in my opinion, as it causes more problem then having any real usage!