HELP - Why does my video do this?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

http://www.horsetowater.com/SpotsExamples.mov

Here's a quick example (3 meg) I threw together to show what I meant. The abstract shape has spots and a gradient, the word "Moho" has the "Splotchy" fill, and the word "Fills" has just a gradient.

No texture slipping or gradient freezing during rotation. All 3 image layers are being modified by bones.
Dave
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Well, is cristal clear that this masking technic works "fine" (in simple situation like that, at least), I (and nobody) have said the opposite... I've used and experiment with the same results, but this masking way is incompatible with my way of work in Moho (for several and complicated reasons that I've explain in other occasions but I've no time to write now) and I think that never (NEVER) give us the facility, quickly, and logical work flow that a good and normal Shape Texture Effects would give, only that... CIAO!
Last edited by Rai López on Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

I'm confused as to why this is being referred to as masking. This is using Moho to create a .png which is then imported as an image layer and warped by bones. It's pretty much exactly what the "Dancing Hawaain Girl" tutorial shows you how to do.

One reason to use this method is if you've used one of the built-in fills and made something you like, then realised that you'd have problems with the fill slipping. This way, you get to use your original work, unmodified.

Kind regards,
Dave
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Banterfield wrote:I'm confused as to why this is being referred to as masking.
Two alternate techniques are being discussed. One uses the approach of Tutorial 4.4 - this one uses masking. The other approach is to render a layer out and re-import it as an image - this one does not use masking and is very much like the Hula Girl tutorial.
Venkman

Post by Venkman »

Well... No matter which way you look at it... The color effcts simply don't work when the scene is anything but perfectly still. To get them to work you have to perform sme kind of trick.... this doesn't mean they "work" this means Masking works, or the import image feature works. The color effects don't.

So... if it doesn't work.... shouldn't it be fixed?

I mean... You've created such a great program, why cheapen it by having color effects that don't work?
What is that?
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

I think that the Shape Effects (that you call color effects) doesn't works because is not a feature that LM really want in his program (thing that I REALLY can NOT undertand), because he likes more the masking way... I think, like you, that they must be fixed, yes... and IMPROVE, and if LM don't use his program for animate would must pay more attention to his customers, because all of us treat to do animations with his software, that is so BRILLIANT in certain aspects as POOR in others... I always have said that Shape Effects would be the BEST, EASY, and QUICKLY way to reach the results that you want without any problem, without the neccesity to add extra and EXTRA layers in the proyect (and without any complication about the sort-order of they) and with the comodity of create Styles... the advantages are obvious, cause of all of this I can't undertand the LM decission of abandon this possible BRILLIANT (and logical) feature... well, I can't say more about that I think, THANKS for readme and CIAO!
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Venkman wrote: To get them to work you have to perform sme kind of trick....
Yeah, it's definitely a work around, but it only takes a minute. It beats having to regenerate your image in another program, losing all your hard work.

Later fellas,
Dave
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

The problems with this method of making a .png effect file in Moho:
- a quality issue of the .png file itself in Moho. (.png files made in Moho are not as sharp and crisp as .png files made in other graphic programs.)
- you cannot zoom in or enlarge the .png file without it going out of focus. The .png file cannot come much closer to the camera than what the .png file was originally made at or it gets blurry and out of focus.
- it does not fit in with your other vector type drawings. The .png file is somewhat blurry even at its normal size, whereas the vector version is sharp - at any size or close up.
- if you change the size of your project (say from 320 x 240 to a larger size) your .png file is now blurry, out of focus in the larger size video.

See video clip below showing a .png and vector version of shapes with a gradient and dots added. Note how the .png gets blurry, the vector stays sharp - always. 0.8Mb
png vs. vector effects.mov

I am not sure I understand all the points Ramon is saying, but in general I agree with his train of thought. (Ramon - I wish I could speak/read Spanish so I could read your comments in your language - I bet they would be really wild and opinionated then! :D
My apologies for my language deficiency.)
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

There is certainly a trade off in using this work-around. Quality issues arise when using a .png that is of a lower resolution than the current project file. Also, the edge of the png can become an issue. I generally have rendered my screen at 1440 x 1080, which is twice my normal project file resolution. I also try to render the stand-alone .png against a background the same color as the project file to avoid weird edges. The key is to create the .png knowing what you intend to do with it.

I mention this approach because I've had great success with using it to complete shots and animate characters when this fill-slipping issue crops up. I raised this same issue with LM many moons again, as you guys are now. His reply was consistent then as now. I think it is a reasonable response.

I just wanted to mention it on this occasion because Venkman expressed some frustration and it is a heckuva a good way to make the square peg fit in the round hole, and thus get the shot.

Definitely a use at your own risk and in full knowledge that there are tradeoffs. In my book it is a solution to this issue, and one worth mentioning whenever anyone is pulling their hair out over what to do.

Having said all that, I'll probably do my character design work from here on out in a 3rd party program, then load it in to Moho to knock around with the wonderful bones system. :)

Regards,
Dave
Venkman

Post by Venkman »

Yea.... but.... MOHO is an ANIMATION program.... if it has a feature... it should work when you ANIMATE it.

I mean... You pay 100 bucks for a program....
What is that?
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Its there for backwards compatibility. Which likely means that alternative are in the pipeline. Be patient. For now there is a decent work around. And at least you aren't drawing everything frame by frame by hand. Then inking it. Then painting it. And then shooting it.

Brian
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Venkman wrote:Yea.... but.... MOHO is an ANIMATION program.... if it has a feature... it should work when you ANIMATE it.
Jaja... :D I remember heve said exactly the same one time talking about all of this (specially for the posibility of animate Shape Effects values), Well, we can understand us I think... :roll:
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Gee. I wish I had a dollar for every.....
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.