Whack an object and make it wobble

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

LAS

Whack an object and make it wobble

Post by LAS »

Hello! This is my first post since purchasing AS. So proud to be asking this question as my debut to the forum haha! I promise future interactions won't be anything related to this one hehe.

This is for a one off quick project - a funny personal greeting card.

I'm wondering how to have one object (animated hand) simply hit an object and make it wobble on the spot?

How to best set this up layer-wise, and physics settings?

The wobbling object identity shall not be disclosed, with respect to forum rules!

Thanks in advance for giving me a hand!

:roll:
Annie
winknotes

Post by winknotes »

This could be done with bones (no pun intended).

Rig the object in question, select the bone and you'll see a drop down box at the top of the work space. At the bottom you can check "Bone dynamics" checkbox and play around with the spring and torque settings to get the amount of springiness you want. Keep in mind you have to animate the object to make it spring. It won't do it by simply coming into contact with the hand.

I'm using version 6 so I don't know much about the physics engine. That may be the better way to go.
Steve Winkler

Anime Studio Pro 6.2
Windows 7 64-bit
LAS

Post by LAS »

winknotes wrote:This could be done with bones (no pun intended).

Rig the object in question, select the bone and you'll see a drop down box at the top of the work space. At the bottom you can check "Bone dynamics" checkbox and play around with the spring and torque settings to get the amount of springiness you want. Keep in mind you have to animate the object to make it spring. It won't do it by simply coming into contact with the hand.

I'm using version 6 so I don't know much about the physics engine. That may be the better way to go.
Hi Steve, thanks for replying. Yeah I should have mentioned I'd already tried it with the bond dynamics. It worked quite well actually. I just wondered if I could get a more realistic effect (and have only just bought Pro 8 so am learning too) with the Physics instead.

Finding it hard to find any instructional content (text or video) on physics that suits this scenerio. But I'll keep playing and experimenting with the settings, and the object! *snigger*

Thanks again!
Annie
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

...you've probably already checked- the physics stuff starts on pg 161 of the User Manual... you might try chroma-keying the background and the actual object-hitting object. If that gives you your desired effect, you could then composite in your striking hand (and background)?