Head turn help

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

awalker

Head turn help

Post by awalker »

Hello everyone. I've been having some trouble animating head turns and thought I'd ask for some much needed help. How do I turn the head from a side profile pose to a frontal full face shot? I've tried to use the bone rigging setup posted in the beginners thread but I can't get it to work properly so I was hoping someone might had a different or easier method of doing this.

Thanks
Andre
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Have a look at this. Don't know if it's easier, but it's a good tech. Also use the forum search option to look for more head turn tips

viewtopic.php?t=15846&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=
awalker

Post by awalker »

I'm not sure how scripting works or how to create one. Do u know if there is a video tutorial link explaining what I need to do? Thanks again.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Sorry,, that wasn't the tutorial I was thinking about. The one I was thinking about was about masking. Easiest head turns are really switch layer turns. Make your front view on one layer then duplicate the layer twice. On the middle layer, move around the features (eyes, nose, ears etc...) to a 3/4 view. On the last layer, move the features to a side profile view. Create a switch layer, and place the three layers in it. This is a simple turn. You can create more in-betweens to get a smoother switch.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

jonbo suggestion will give you the look that most use but if you really feel froggy you can use actions and blend morphs to create a smooth head turn but it really takes a lot of practice to master.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
awalker

Post by awalker »

@jonbo @sbtamu Thanks for the advice. I've been experimenting with switch layers & action's for head turns and have gotten some of the results i've wanted but new problems seem to always pop up.

I have a hard time following some of the tutorial threads on the forums
so i've been looking for more video tutorials that give step by step instructions. They're much easier for me to follow. Haven't tried blend morphing yet. So I guess that's my next step. Thanks again for the response.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Years ago I made a few head turn video tutorials using actions in Anime Studio Pro 5.6:

viewtopic.php?p=39256#39256

Ancient, but still applicable to the latest version of AS I think.

You'll find many excellent head turn tutorials if you poke around, tho not many in video format.
awalker

Post by awalker »

@DarthFurby Hey thanks for the post. Your head turn looks amazing & it's exactly the type of animation i'm looking for. I've tried to access the links to the tutorial you posted but I can't seem to get them to work. Is it posted somewhere else that I might be able to upload it or just watch?

Thanks again.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Right click on the links and use the "save as" option to download videos. It's a little tricky because the links in the first post for parts 2 and 3 will take you to the threads for them first and the links for the videos are in those threads.
awalker

Post by awalker »

@jonbo Thanks.