Importing and Animating Photoshop/Gimp Art

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CrazedLasher

Importing and Animating Photoshop/Gimp Art

Post by CrazedLasher »

Hello all! I just purchased Anime Studio and decided to join the forums in the hopes that I could learn faster. I'm relatively decent at creating artwork on the computer in photoshop and gimp, etc. I know you can import these images and animate them, but what is the best way of achieving this? I have a basic understanding of the bones in the program, I am more concerned with the best way to bring the picture in and "animate" it from there without too much distortion.
The drawing tools in-program were a little rough for me to get used to, so I'd rather stick with photoshop and gimp.
My ultimate goal is not animation, but creating characters that are movable for a comic strip I am creating. This so that I don't have to draw the same thing out with slight variations for every single panel. I am hoping that Anime Studio could help with this. Obviously there will still be a lot of editing and still a lot of drawing but is anime studio a feasible option?
Poopee

Post by Poopee »

Export your images to png format, these work real well in AS and retain the alpha channel, which makes it a breeze to create characters or props in as.

Also, AS works well with videos in png format, again, the alpha is well preserved.

Dunno about ASD, ASP user here.

Poopee
CrazedLasher

Post by CrazedLasher »

Yeah, I got Debut 7, but Im thinking it will still be plenty for my needs.
PNGs it is. Do you know of any good bone tutorials for these types of images? I've been looking for one with no luck. I've been playing around with the bones and it works pretty well but I'm still getting a lot of distortion in my pictures. I probably just need to practice more with bones but a tutorial would help.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Good idea for a comic strip man.

Your best bet is to read the manual. It explains, from what I can remember, bones very well. You may need to change the bone strength to suit the limbs of your characters, not doing so can yield weird spiky artifacts from your images when you move them.

For real - try the manual. Otherwise you may just be shooting around in the dark for ages and get frustrated.
CrazedLasher

Post by CrazedLasher »

Cool, I'll give that a go. Thanks for the help guys! O may post further questions as I run into them, as I'm sure I will ;P
Poopee

Post by Poopee »

Yeah, RTFM!

Look for image warping in the manual, it is all there.

Poopee