how do i make a side view for my character

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TeamRevolver

how do i make a side view for my character

Post by TeamRevolver »

hello guys i have 3 character front view already made and i want to know if i have to draw the side view or is there a easy way to do it without having to redraw :?
i really would like to make my character walk but i know that the character got to be on his left side or right side to do the walking process please help ! :D here is my character ----> should i redraw my character from scratch to be able to have a side view
Poopee

Post by Poopee »

Usually you just make a copy of your front layer and use the move tool to build the side view from it.

There are several good things with that approach, one being that both character have the same height for every features.

Of course it depends on how you build your front character.

Poopee
TeamRevolver

Post by TeamRevolver »

Poopee wrote:Usually you just make a copy of your front layer and use the move tool to build the side view from it.

There are several good things with that approach, one being that both character have the same height for every features.

Of course it depends on how you build your front character.

Poopee
umm thanks for the info :D
so what you think i should should i switch how i draw my characters or leave the way it is ? i want to be able to make my character walk ........
by using the move tool can this apply to clothing also or do i have to redraw new clothes its difficult for me since i have logos on the clothing ?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

TeamRevolver wrote:...i want to know if i have to draw the side view or is there a easy way to do it without having to redraw :?
If you need a side view, you'll have to bite the bullet and draw it. There's no easy way in the sense that there's a automatic "make side view" button.
i really would like to make my character walk but i know that the character got to be on his left side or right side to do the walking process
Profile walks the are easiest, but you can create walks in any view.

Here's a video from an earlier forum challenge with nothing but walk cycles in various views:
Character Animation with Anime Studio

Search the forum for "walk cycles" and "head turns", you'll find plenty of ideas on this topic.

As for your character, the design is good, but (as the previous poster alluded to) until you try to animate it you won't know if you constructed it correctly. The character has to built in way so that it doesn't deform strangely when animated.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

neeters-guy is correct. You will just have to draw each profile, unless you are wanting to morph from from front to 3/4 to side which is a lot of work to do when you can just use a switch files. Anime Studio can do what ever you want it to do to a degree, like morphing from front to side but I think the majority of us just draw a front,3/4,profile and just switch the files to represent the look.
Here is a front walk from Daniel Weatherhead, I sketched this to paper and labeled the frames 1-8. compiled it in AS switch files. I have used this walk cycle so much and put my own style to it that my own style hardly looks like his any more, But the credit is still his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQRd_NXZO3s
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
TeamRevolver

Post by TeamRevolver »

sbtamu wrote:neeters-guy is correct. You will just have to draw each profile, unless you are wanting to morph from from front to 3/4 to side which is a lot of work to do when you can just use a switch files. Anime Studio can do what ever you want it to do to a degree, like morphing from front to side but I think the majority of us just draw a front,3/4,profile and just switch the files to represent the look.
Here is a front walk from Daniel Weatherhead, I sketched this to paper and labeled the frames 1-8. compiled it in AS switch files. I have used this walk cycle so much and put my own style to it that my own style hardly looks like his any more, But the credit is still his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQRd_NXZO3s
thanks for the help man :D
but you said i have to draw each profile right but i kinda suck at drawing a side character any advice for me i tried so many time but it doesnt really look like the original character
Poopee

Post by Poopee »

Have a look at this pdf made by Amigaman, pretty good and easy to follow.

http://blog.smithmicro.com/blogimages/C ... Studio.pdf

Poopee
TeamRevolver

Post by TeamRevolver »

Poopee wrote:Have a look at this pdf made by Amigaman, pretty good and easy to follow.

http://blog.smithmicro.com/blogimages/C ... Studio.pdf

Poopee
thanks for the pdf it help me alot :D
heres a side view ive done so far for another character ------> Image
Poopee

Post by Poopee »

You're welcome mate! ;)

Poopee
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

TeamRevolver wrote:...i kinda suck at drawing a side character any advice for me i tried so many time but it doesnt really look like the original character
It's not complicated. :) Draw horizontal lines for the important landmarks and line up the side view details. Here's a quick example:

The exact posture and details aren't important here. The point is that by lining up the features you can be creative, but still maintain proportion and likeness.

Hm, that second character you posted doesn't look like it belongs in the same world as the first character. :?
TeamRevolver

Post by TeamRevolver »

neeters_guy wrote:
TeamRevolver wrote:...i kinda suck at drawing a side character any advice for me i tried so many time but it doesnt really look like the original character
It's not complicated. :) Draw horizontal lines for the important landmarks and line up the side view details. Here's a quick example:

The exact posture and details aren't important here. The point is that by lining up the features you can be creative, but still maintain proportion and likeness.

Hm, that second character you posted doesn't look like it belongs in the same world as the first character. :?
thanks man this is what i wanted to see the side view is nice by the way :D
im going to try to replicate what you did :wink:

ummm yeah i know that the second character doesnt resemble the first one because it was a side view i tried to do in 10 minutes
NeedyN00b

Post by NeedyN00b »

neeters_guy wrote:

+1, as they say...