Brush Making and Using Tips

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I played a little with a brush of my own and one supplied by LM.
(159 Kb)

Here's the brush I used:

Was there any design involved? No, just fun :D
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Looks nice, I have to experiment with that feature sometime, never got around to it.

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Rasheed - Your animation looks good! :D
They remind me of shrimps swimming in the sea.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Here's another one, more deliberate:
spidercrawling.mov
(56 Kb DivX)

And here's the brush I used for the spider and the grassy oval:
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Rasheed, All you need now is a good plot for your spider! :D
"and then Man created god!"
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Rasheed wrote:I played a little with a brush of my own and one supplied by LM.
(159 Kb)

Was there any design involved? No, just fun :D
Now you just need the music for the lead singer and the two backup singers!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

jorgy wrote:Now you just need the music for the lead singer and the two backup singers!
Yeah, I know. After a few minutes of watching this animation it puts me into a state of light hypnosis. Music should keep me awake :lol:
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Back to the use of the brushes in Moho.
Still waiting for anyone to show an animation made with the non-solid line brush.... (Preferrably one that was not just made for this request.)

I have the feeling no one ever uses the Moho brushes. (For the reasons I discovered in the earlier posts here.)
I wonder if Moho knows this? Why include something that people can´t use or won´t use or doesn´t really work very good?

(However, I really like how to use the brushes as telescoping-type things I discovered in my sample animation here:
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1900
But that really is not what brush should be used for. A brush is to draw with...)
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I don't have any full animations but I did play with various things. The files are a bit large as I didn't originally intend to post them so sorry.

First two were to see if I could use that brush jitter effect for anything; seems to be too fast which is too bad or I might be able to find use for it for several things.

http://stormvisions.com/moho/worm.mov
http://stormvisions.com/moho/bubbles.mov

This was a simple plant I tried using a brush I made.
http://stormvisions.com/moho/brush_weed_1.mov

I didn't like the lack of borders on this so I then tried to make two brushes, one with the outline and one the fill. I duplicated the line and applied one brush to one line and one to the other. I thought I might be able to have leaves on tree branches without having to duplicate lots of shapes -just trace the branch and use these two brushes but wasn't perfect and some of the the brush images seem to pop in and out of visibility when you rotate the layer on the Y axis.

http://stormvisions.com/moho/double_brush.mov
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
muchachotron_v2

Post by muchachotron_v2 »

hello, i'd like to keep this topic alive. i'm hoping that this will be addressed with the upcoming release of moho (anime studio), or at least a subsequent update.

i also really like the drawing features in expression that have been discussed in this thread. i was kind of expecting the natural media-ish brushes in moho to function similarly, though i understand how this would be difficult to translate/program into animation. however, in moho there is definitely some harmful unpredictability with animated custom brushes, even with the minimize randomness feature checked.

there is one image in the included help documentation (tutorials/drawing/2.5 Brushes - toward the bottom with the black, magenta and green strokes) which shows a black stroke that seems to have a smooth, flowing brush stroke extending the length of the entire curve (much like expression). has anybody been able to replicate that using a brush, or is it just a "cheat"?

while i think that there can be rewarding, creative work produced using animated brushwork in moho (even with the quirks that have already been discussed), it seems that its only available for niche animation projects/experiments. i can't see myself producing work for television or anything that involves money using animated brushes as they currently function. i've seen some beautiful, slick animations that use ink- and paint-like brushwork, and it seems very possible for moho to achieve this functionality.

since this feature could really make anime studio indespensible for natural-media looking animation projects or elements of a project (currently you really need to use after effects or a 3D package, neither of which have good drawing tools), i hope it can be improved enough to be usable or at least more predictable. i'd think that modern computers would be able to handle rendering out "expression-style" animated strokes to an image sequence or movie file, though real-time screen rendering is probably still out of the question. even if it took a long time to render, if the results were satisfying it would be worth using for "real" projects.

moho developers -- any thoughts or answers about this? is this request any sort of priority, or is there any reason we users should just forget about it? it seems like such a simple, obvious step to improve the brush animation, but i am not a programmer and perhaps there is a very good reason why this won't be possible (that is, until anime studio xtreme elite rockstar professional is released, and costs as much as toon boom harmony :) ).

these forums are an excellent resource, there should be a huge amount of traffic here once anime studio is unleashed. despite my complaints and the problems that are discussed on the forums, i really think this software is incredible and i am very excited to see its evolution. even as it is, i don't think its very far off from being a standard package placed alongside flash and toon boom. man, this is a long post.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I don't really feel a need for more "natural" brushes in Moho because if I want that, I'd go for a pixel based program first (like Mirage). However, the brush handling could be improved with some additional features which, I believe, are not that hard to implement. Maybe they should be put behind a "more complicated settings" button, just to not terrify newbies.

1. It should be possible to define one brush as a series of PNGs.
2. If it's a range, one could assign a certain PNG to a certain stroke width/pressure.
3. An even distribution over the path is OK, but what about defining this as a possible range too? It could be set to a wild random thing where the resulting line will have deliberate leaks