Rig a "Mike Wasowski" type of character?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

winknotes

Rig a "Mike Wasowski" type of character?

Post by winknotes »

I'm having a really hard time rigging up this little character my daughter came up with. I suspect it has to do with overly organized groups and folders which is another thing I'm struggling with when I create a character.

Here's a link to the file. I could really use some help with orgainization and rigging the guy up so he moves reasonably well. My daughter came up with him and would like to see him come to life :)

http://www.home.comcast.net/~winknotes/dizzy.anme

Steve Winkler
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I would love to look at the file but I will not copy and paste a script to my hard drive. If you would go ahead and upload the .anme I will look at it.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
crsP

Post by crsP »

sbtamu, right-click on the link and download \ save-as [depending on your browser].

winknotes I went in and fixed up the rig, but then I realised you have 6.2 and I made a 7.1 file, so I’ll just give you the gist. You have the vectors for the arms in a sub group layer, this makes them unaffected by the bone deforms. I just took them out of the group and left them in the bone layer. for the head, eyes etc. and hair, because they move with the bones but are not deformed [squashed etc.] by the bones, I did layer binding of each vector layer to the bone in the head. This means they will move when you rotate the head bone, but wont squish about. Your placements of bones need to be thought out better. you want to have the tips at ‘pivot points’, i.e. where a joint would normally be. I just moved and sized them as needed. There is a problem in the legs that insufficient points are there to create a bend. I just added a point on each leg to where the ‘knee’ would be. Also, because the feet are so big in this character, when you rotate them, they intersect with the leg. As they are the same shape, you get ‘holes’. To solve this, I deleted the leg shapes, added a line to separate the feet from the leg, then created shapes for the legs and feet. This leaves a line separating the legs and feet, but simply use the hide line tools and it looks like the original, but behaves better when the feet intersect the legs.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Done, Thanks
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
winknotes

Post by winknotes »

Thank you so much crsP! Those suggestions worked great. I should have known about insufficient points on the legs. I think I'll get the hang of orgainizing my layers as I start to actually animate. Right now I think I'll animate everything which is why I end up with layers upon layers.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Steve Winkler