Gradient anomalies, help!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Gradient anomalies, help!

Post by chucky »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-bWL4BQbXk

Ok here it is again, check out this dude's top row of teeth.
Dubblya Tee Eff ?

Please , I have to know how to cure this, I am getting it often these days, I don't know how to avoid it or what causes it.
Any ideas?

I also posted this on the AF forum
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

A bit hard to judge from that shaky scene ...

How was that gradient created? Just as an FX on the shape, or as separate shape applied via masking? It looks like the latter, as if the gradient shape wasn't moved with the teeth.
chucky

Post by chucky »

They are all shape gradients, strange I tried to render a still, so you can see more easily but the ctrl r render doesn't get this effect , export animation.
Which makes me realise this is ANOTHER version7 BUG.

There is an hd version on you tube, you can pause or scroll to see.

Hey Slowtiger, you made me realise though, I might need a little camera shake on that shot for the full effect, thanks!
:wink:

This brings ne to updates the topic a little....
Can we do a batch Ctrl r render on all frames?
Any other ideas, is the the utilisation of the multi-core issue again?
I know as a matter of fact disabling multicore on the computer will make no difference, it will have to be within Anime itself.

OMFG When will we get a proper patch for all these new bugs??
Selgin, buddy, here's another one for your list.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

chucky wrote: Can we do a batch Ctrl r render on all frames?
Actually, the command line renderer seems to work like that.
I created 3D models that had modifiers on them and after I importeded them to AS7 I could preview fine with CTRL+R but when I tried to export the program crashed immediately.
BUT if I did a command line render, everything worked. So it seems that the command line renderer is closer the preview render for some reason.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Thanks for the suggestion Ponysmasher, unfortunately the results where the same.
Eeeek I was really hoping that would work.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

omg - this might be the solution to the multicore crashing bug?! i'm going to test it right away!

edit:
that didn't work :(

edit 2: hold on, i used the batch render, not the command line - can someone who's used it before check if crashing files still crash?
Last edited by funksmaname on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hang on, you do mean the batch renderer?
Is the command line render something I don't know about?
:?
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

chucky wrote:Hang on, you do mean the batch renderer?
Is the command line render something I don't know about?
:?
Yeah, the command line renderer is a separate thing. You can read about it here: viewtopic.php?t=1318

I hope it works for you.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hey chucky,
is the gradient deformed under bone influence? that would help us to reproduce the bug locally.
Can you share a file where everythig is removed except the offending gradients so it still reproducing the problem at render time?
-G
chucky

Post by chucky »

So problem relatively solved,
If the gradient rips, take the bone causing the tear out of the parent bone group and copy paste it into a new child bone layer (make sure you reset it transform values,of course)and place its affected layer into that new child bone group.
The layers will all animate and keep their gradient effects.

You will of course lose reverse kinematics so this isn't as good as having a working render.

Thanks all especially Wes . Yay.
Oh I'm all moved into the new house now.

Genete btw I shared the file here gradient tear file
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ok, I know it's a little bit late, but I opened the file and saw that the teeth gradients were affected by the bone influence of the bone on mouth bone layer. I just decreased the bone influence to zero and the problem disappeared.
This is not a bug, it's just you have to prepare your character when working with gradients. It's similar to when you use images, you must use the offset bone tool or bind the entire layer to a bone to get the desired results with gradients.

PD: Loved your character design and animation. You are really good.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
chucky

Post by chucky »

Selgin, it's a BUG.

Oh and thanks, that's certainly a compliment coming from yourself.

But it's still a bug.

Actually on the topic of offsetting, it's something I rarely (unless I have stupid amounts of time) do as it's very destructive to any speedy design process, much like how the shape selector goes to a checkerboard and obscures the colour relationships that are being adjusted.
The checkerboard thing is definitely not a bug but it does defy all logic.
Last edited by chucky on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

chucky wrote:Selgin, it's a BUG.

Oh and thanks, that's certainly a compliment coming from yourself.

But it's still a bug.
Hehe, sorry, but I read all the thread again and can't understand why this is a bug. I checked the file again and all seem logical to me. Maybe there is something I don't get.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
chucky

Post by chucky »

It 's clearly a bug if the Ctrl r renders perfectly as does the interface preview, but the actual renders goes mental, any denial of this as a bug seems a little 'suss'.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

chucky wrote:It 's clearly a bug if the Ctrl r renders perfectly as does the interface preview, but the actual renders goes mental, any denial of this as a bug seems a little 'suss'.
Weird, I'm on 7.1 and render preview shows it wrong. I see the problem on the main window too.
I just took a screenshot
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/3478 ... roblem.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com