Attach a vector drawing to a moving scanned image

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

guitarzan

Attach a vector drawing to a moving scanned image

Post by guitarzan »

Ok, I've got an animation sequence that I'm working on where there is a castle in the background (which was a scanned image). To give the sequence the look of some depth, I move the castle in the background while the foreground pans to one side.

Here is my problem. I just got the idea to put a character in the window of the castle, but when the castle moves, the character doesn't move with it.

If I would have planned this from the start, I would have created a group layer that contained the charater and the castle, and just moved the group layer. But hind site is 20/20. Does anyone know an easy way that I can get the character to move along with the castle at this point? Thanks.
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

You can select multiple layers with shift+click and move them together.
JCook

Post by JCook »

You can still make a group layer and put the castle layer and the character layer (or layers) in it, and then move the group layer.

Jack
tonym

Post by tonym »

Edit:
Nevermind. Misread your question.
guitarzan

Post by guitarzan »

Thank you for your replies. I'm not sure I was clear though. I had already put in moventment in the background "castle" layer.

If I put that layer in a group folder with the New image (of the person I want standing in the window) the castle will still move independent of the new image.

Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to wipe out the existing layer's movement, then group the images, then redo the movement. I was just hoping to find a way to avoid having to redo what I've already done.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You could put the character in the castle layer, then shift it slightly backwards in the Z direction. (Use an exported bitmap if there are lots of vector layers).
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
guitarzan

Post by guitarzan »

jahnocli,

I didn't think I could put a vector image into the same layer as a scanned image. If this is possible, that would solve my problem.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ah, you can't. Buy you could export it as a bitmap, then re-import.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?