Mikdog's Mouth Sync Style?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Smoof nickel

Mikdog's Mouth Sync Style?

Post by Smoof nickel »

I saw Mikdog's youtube video called, "Happy Island". I really like the way that the mouth sync in the short looks like. It looks almost as if he used less mouth shapes in the switch layers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikdog#p/u/25/_okVLZutkl8

How do you guys think I could go about making a similar style to this?

Thanks for answering

-Smoof
Do not evaluate your attempts or your intentions. Instead, evaluate your results.
Mozbo

Re: Mikdog's Mouth Sync Style?

Post by Mozbo »

Smoof nickel wrote:How do you guys think I could go about making a similar style to this?
Perhaps PM Mikdog directly and ask???

I think that would be more effective than any advice the rest of us could give you.
~M
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.
Life is short, enjoy the adventure!
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

I can give you some advice.

Check out a book called "The Animators Survival Kit" by Richard Williams. It is an awesome reference for animators of all levels - and for you to understand how Mikdogs approach uses less "mouths" in a switch layer (I am only guessing on his approach, don't quote me!), there is one particular section that explains animating speech. It blew my mind when I read it.

Example - the word "memory" - 3 syllables, you'd think you animate three mouth positions yeah? Williams explains for this example you can animate concentrating on 2. Essentially you animate phoenemes for "mem-ry". It's all about the timing after that for it to look legitimate and correct with your audio.

I won't explain anymore because I tend to confuse things - the book is awesome, check it out!
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Just saw this.

Less mouth shapes is correct-o. I made it so they could be inbetweened but in fact I could have used no inbetweens and got a good result.

So there's like, if I remember correctly - AH, O, TH and CLOSED/M

Thassit.

And the same for sad versions of those (downturned mouths)