Rotating bones or layers without affecting other scenes?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jonathan_Machen

Rotating bones or layers without affecting other scenes?

Post by Jonathan_Machen »

I am working on a project that involves a number of different scenes with two characters, both of which have multiple aspects. So far, I have learned how to make changes to each scene, placing the characters in different positions and placements, without affecting the previous scenes - except for when I try to rotate the character, either with the translate layer button or rotate bone button. When I do that, all previous scenes contain this new 'rotated' placement, thus wrecking those scenes. Is there any way around this? What about creating duplicate switch layers? Thanks - Jonathan in Boulder
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

First of all, putting all your scenes into one project is not a good idea, and only the last resort if you can't edit your film in a video editor.

"Different scenes" is a weak term here - how are you going to separate them?

One solution would be to put each scene into its own group layer and switch visibility for them, or just put thema side when not used.

Another possible but not very advisable solution would be, if you need to use the same characters in all scenes, just change their size and position with some step keys as a hard cut and change the backgrounds.

In your case the problem isn't connected to scenes at all. It's just that you are trying to set a keyframe (for rotation) for the very first time in the timeline - AS then assumes that you want a rotation starting at frame 0, finishing at the rotated position at your current frame.

Just place a keyframe first without rotation, position it one frame before your rotation keyframe. That's all. (Because now frame 0 and frame current minus 1 have the same rotation settings, which means no movement will happen.)
Jonathan_Machen

Post by Jonathan_Machen »

Thank you for your advice - I hadn't thought of putting things together later in a video editing program and next time I will do that.

I am not sure if I understand what you mean by placing each scene in a group layer. Perhaps I am not using the word scene correctly? What I mean by 'scene' is that it is just a change in my background image. ( I have my same two characters in different positions over a changing sequence of images). The whole thing is only about a minute long.

I know layers can be grouped, but can a time-segment of animation be grouped?

At any rate, to make my current project work I am just doing the 'hard' keystroke changes as you mention.

Also, the tip about placing two keyframes together to avoid invoking a rotation from frame 0 makes perfect sense.

I am new to Anime software, and animation in general, and my current project has really helped me learn much more about the process.

Merry Christmas!
tonym

Re: Rotating bones or layers without affecting other scenes?

Post by tonym »

Try this:

Go back to the old scene, locate the Translate Layer keyframe dot in the timeline, click the dot, click COPY, then advance the timeline slider to the new frame where you want the duplicated keyframe to appear and click PASTE.