cycle keyframe per bone, or per layer?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rogermate

cycle keyframe per bone, or per layer?

Post by rogermate »

The timeline looks like a cycle keframe would work per bone. But the results seem to reset when a different bone cycles.

Do cycles reset per layer? Or if there is a way to ensure one bone's cycling doesn't affect another's, what might I be doing wrong?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Very interesting, I've never thought of that because I built my walk cycles of course with everything looping at the same time.

OK, I did a test with just 2 bones, one rotating in 48, the other in 72 frames, both set to cycling at the end. I made sure to only select one bone when setting the cycle mode. Result: only one bone loops, the other rotates just once, then stops.

From this I say you need different layers for each different loop length.

If you're only dealing with rotations, you might be able to get different cycles by using bone constraints. I used that when constructing my clock animations, the bones rotation speeds with fixed ratios.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I always work with overlapping cycles with no problems. Maybe I'm not understanding the thread.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Do you use several cycles with different length within the same bone layer?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

slowtiger wrote:Do you use several cycles with different length within the same bone layer?
yes. It's all about make the cycles for each selected bone(s), using the red channel on timeline.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

That's what I thought I did. Anyway, trying again, this time it works!

(Note to self: don't use a red fill on shapes which completely covers the highlighted red bone.)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

slowtiger wrote:That's what I thought I did. Anyway, trying again, this time it works!

(Note to self: don't use a red fill on shapes which completely covers the highlighted red bone.)
Nice to help you :)

Note: when I have problems with color of shapes, images and bones, I put a layer with semitransparent white shape over all the other. This makes change the color for shapes, but not for construction curves and bones. When I'm ready, simply don't render that white layer (or select "don't render this layer" on layer proprieties).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Got it working! Definitely a nice feature to have per bone cycling.

Thanks for the tip Selgin! Quick & easy