question from a new guy about animating png files

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sethpenley

question from a new guy about animating png files

Post by sethpenley »

OK, I admit, I have just started tinkering around with this program so I know very little. I had hoped to do some basic animation of an illustrator logo for a friend's website. I can't import the ai file because it tells me the file is too complex. So I thought I would cut it into a few pieces and import png files. When I try to animate with bones and export as a swf file for his site, I get nothing. So do I understand correctly that png files cannot animate with bones and export as swf? If so I guess I am stuck since I can't import the original ai file because it is too complex and I can't animate the png files. It exports fine as a mov, but he needs flash for his site. Thanks for anyone who can help me.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Two possible ways:

1. Import the whole logo as an image into AS and re-build it with AS' own vector tools. This works great and is fast enough, provided the logo is not too complex.

2. In AI, separate the logo parts on different layers, then switch off all but one and export layer by layer separately.

It still might have too many points. A simple logo which gives the error message "too complex" is a sure sign of un-intelligent design to me. If you could show us the image, we might be able to track down the problem.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

slowtiger wrote:Two possible ways:

1. Import the whole logo as an image into AS and re-build it with AS' own vector tools. This works great and is fast enough, provided the logo is not too complex.
+1

One thing to remember, how an image is built in photoshop or illustrator is often unimportant, the only important thing is the result.

The opposite is true when creating an animation, like using AS. Because the image is rebuilt 24 times per second.

Also, we don't know what "complex" means here. Is it a 2,000 sided polygon - which clearly you could trace over in AS with much fewer points? Or is it an artistic rendering that combined 2,000 layers of "air brush" type strokes? That would be more of a challenge to replicate with the AS tools.

Show us what the finished logo on his site currently looks like and we could tell how easy it would be.