mask so one layer appears while one disappears

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rogermate

mask so one layer appears while one disappears

Post by rogermate »

Is there an easy way to have a wipe which blocks one layer and shows another? I'd like to have a wipe like those old batman shows.

I can only think of using a brute force method, and then somehow copying the two masks. Could have two rectangle shapes both controlled by the same bone. One rect adds to the mask and the layer above is hidden. Another rect which mimicks the first rect is just above and while it mimicks the motion of the first rect, it instead is subtracted from the mask and the layer above it is hidden.

A little more work especially in making sure the rectangle shapes mimick exactly.

Or is there an easier way?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If the images themselves don't move, you just need 1 mask, in the group on top.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

slowtiger wrote:If the images themselves don't move, you just need 1 mask, in the group on top.
Only the mask moves. It is like a wipe from one scene to another.

Image A and B are now put in a parent group P. The mask M is above A and B in group P?

I can get M to reveal or hide both A and B in such a structure. But what I'd like is for image A to be hidden by the shape M at the same time that image B is being revealed. Also, A and B are not of the same outline.

What am I missing?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Given that both images cover the whole project area, the top image will cover the bottom one. So only the top image needs to be in a group with the mask. Start with the mask a bit bigger than the frame, then move it outside.

- group layer (hide all)
- - image a (mask this layer)
- - mask (add to mask, but keep invisible)
- image b
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

slowtiger wrote:Given that both images cover the whole project area
My explanation was not clear. The two images don't cover the whole project area, think of a donut and a slice of swiss cheese in front of a house. I want to preserve the transparent parts of the donut and the cheese as the wipe goes by.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

that doesn't really clarify anything - but it does leave a quite surreal image in my mind lol
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

funksmaname wrote:that doesn't really clarify anything - but it does leave a quite surreal image in my mind lol
Instigating extraordinary images in the public's mind is the artist's imperative.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Seems like the easiest solution (also the only one i thought of before stopping) is to just "do it twice".

In other words, on mask group for the reveal. Another mask group for the hide.

Then I just copied the swipe layer - which holds the shape used to either hide or reveal - into both masking groups.

Figured I post my solution here for future reference of others, and myself.