Hand's animation???

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

freecartman™

Hand's animation???

Post by freecartman™ »

What's the easiest way to animate an hand in the most natural way?? i don't like too much to use switch layers, coz i prefere smooth animations.
Sry for my english
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

if you use flash or ToonBoom, frame by frame, if you use Anime Studio, morphing or bones. Although there is a tutorial somewhere on the forum about a 2.5D hand rig
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

it's way more hassle than it's worth... you will have to use switch layers, but mix them with point animation, and/or disguise the switching by clever movement of the hands and arms...
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Strange - sometimes quick switch layer changing without any inbetweens can look better than a hand morph changing from position to position. My 2 cents. Easier to do as well. BUT if you want to see for yourself, and you really like the smotth motion of the hands changing with inbetweens (possibly looks good on a very slow movement, I can imagine a few instances where a sudden change may look bad, like in a tender close-up moment of a hand picking up a candle holder or something).

Anyway, you can use bones or point motion. Bones for each of the fingers, straightforward point motion, a combination of the two, or switch interpolation though letting the computer do the work between poses sometimes results in weird morphing shapes without keeping the volume of the eg fingers.
freecartman™

Post by freecartman™ »

Thanks for all your replies!! if you have even more suggestions post it!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

check out my most recent post WIP Lip Sync competition entry

Also check out the youtube channel by onionskining
freecartman™

Post by freecartman™ »

i'll soon give it a look! thank you!
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

I prefer boneless hands. After trying many types of hand with bones, I realized that moving points is less complicated ...

Normally I leave the thumb free to change position.

Here's a video where you can see some simple movements.

http://vimeo.com/13563801

The hands, the simpler better ... if not, give a lot of work to animate them. The best thing is to make a hand that does not move but a good one.

www.miguelabadilustrador.com
freecartman™

Post by freecartman™ »

negroclarito wrote:I prefer boneless hands. After trying many types of hand with bones, I realized that moving points is less complicated ...

Normally I leave the thumb free to change position.

Here's a video where you can see some simple movements.

http://vimeo.com/13563801

The hands, the simpler better ... if not, give a lot of work to animate them. The best thing is to make a hand that does not move but a good one.

www.miguelabadilustrador.com
First of all congratulations for your awesome toon!!!! it' was so funny and so well done! Then i agree when you say that hand with bones are complicated,so i'm experiencing with onionskin's technique to do hands in the most simple way i can. Thank you Negroclarito!and thanks for sharing your toons.. i'm going to see all of them!

Anyway the best hand i've found here is this viewtopic.php?t=12808&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

WOW.
Very good hand .... I'll try.

But I still think that the less they move their hands better. If you look at the cartoons, almost always have their hands still.
When they encourage hands, hands prepared for the occasion.

try this and see if it works well
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

freecartman™ wrote:Anyway the best hand i've found here is this viewtopic.php?t=12808&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Ummmm, three fingers? :lol: :lol:
~Danimal