Changing the parent/child of a bone

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Peteroid

Changing the parent/child of a bone

Post by Peteroid »

Is it possible to:

(1) DISCONNECT: Make a child bone an orphan (without deleting the parent bone)?

(2) LATE CONNECTION: Make an orphan bone the child of an existing bone (any restrictions)?

(3) MASTER TO THE MASTER: Make a new/orphan bone the parent of a parent bone.

(4) NEW-FOUND GRANDFATHER: Make an one parent bone the parent of another parent bone.

In short (too late), the tutorials only described ONE scenario... create the hierarchy of bones by always creating the parent first. selecting it, and creating the child bone. Orphans are created by selecting no bone before creation.

There was no discussion on how to 'edit' these relationships. Such as adding a new parent to what was the top level parent, or making a bone accidentally created as the child of one bone the child to the parent bone it was meant to be. You know, corrections!

Is it at all possible to 'rearrange' what bone is child or parent to what bone AFTER creation?
[==Peter==]
Genete

Post by Genete »

If I remember correctly (I don't have AS in this computer) the Reparent Bone tool works like this:

ALT-clic on a bone selects it.
Once selected, click on another bone reparent it (the selected becomes child of the new clicked and unparent it from the previous parent)
Once selected a bone you can make it orphan by clicking on the canvas far away of other bone caption.
I hope it replies all your cases.
I think there is a contextual message in the canvas that explains it when you select the Reparent Bone tool.

More info here: http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/manual/bone_tools.html

-G
w3rew0lfgirl_99

Re: Changing the parent/child of a bone

Post by w3rew0lfgirl_99 »

I am so grateful to learn this. It was very helpful. I have a dragon character with a lot of bones in the neck/wings/ etc. The bone parenting issue was a nightmare. So thank you for this little post. : )