Freehand on a tablet

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

madrobot

Freehand on a tablet

Post by madrobot »

A mate handed me an old Acer travelmate C110 wacom penabled, I threw AS5.6 on it and the freehand is sweet.

Wondering while I'm drawing lines is there a way to set it so all shapes created on the layer have the same style? I want to know if I can avoid going arouind shape by shape and applying the style (to enable tweaking the whole lot at once later.) I know I can set the colour, but I mean the style.

Also I seem to remember (have stumbled across on my hard drive) a script Synth wrote for killing shapes or something.

Is there a way to take all shapes on a layer and make them the one shape? Or select multiple shapes at once to aply style? Would save some time.

What else, anyone else using a tablet for AS? Pretty sweet huh? AS5.6 has those blocky ends on the lines but it doesnt look too bad.

I think there's a freehand script for AS6 which rounds the ends? Do you guys know about that? Is there one for 5.6, or could I roll a script back to work in 5.6 for nice rounded edges?

What about more freehand options? AS6 only? Were there changes under the hood for 6 which allowed this level of control? Or could it be aopplied to 5.6 freehand tool?

I'm loving drawing on this thing. My 9 year old stole it, so I went and got a wooden drawing board with a huge rubber band on it, strapped the tablet to the board and now it's real comfy and easy to use, tilted up in front of you. My kid wont give it back!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hey Madrobot,
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but you know how if you set a colour it is applied by default to all new objects... if you create a style in the style drop down, and then while no object is selected apply the style in the normal way, that style will then be applied by default same as colours are... hope that makes sense!

Dunno about the rest though - i do have a tablet but i've always found it easier to draw in AS with clickety-clicks :)
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

Yes, I use a wacom tablet. Although I had a few problems using it to create keyframes for bones on a PC.

viewtopic.php?t=16368&highlight=wacom+keyframe

Another really annoying thing is that when I try and slide one of the Morph Target sliders there is a incredibly slow lag. When I use a mouse it's fine.
It's really annoying to have to switch between the two especially as I've not used a mouse for years. Didn't know if there was a script to sort this.

Anyone else had this problem. It still happens on the AS 7 demo.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Thanks guys
Setting the default style for lines has helped me a lot and is saving a lot of time.

Taper also is helping.
These are very quick sketches but I am finding it a lot better (for me) to draw on the tablet.

I've done some rigging on the man's face and am getting a nice loose style of movement out of it, I'll post something soon..
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

madrobot wrote:
I've done some rigging on the man's face and am getting a nice loose style of movement out of it, I'll post something soon..
cool
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Imago

Post by Imago »

The pen pressure otpion works on your tablets?
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Yes. Wacom penabled tablet pcs have pressure sensitivity in Anime STudio, just like a usb wacom tablet.
Other tablets with cheaper digitisers, like N-Trig ones, might not I dont know.
Imago

Post by Imago »

I have got a Genius G-Pen 450 tablet.
Very good on Artweaver, Xara XS and Inkscape but no pressure on AS.
I wonder why it works everywhere but Anime Studio...
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Hey Mad Robot,

Cool ... Thanks for that.

And please let us know if you post something showing one of your pen drawn charaters in motion.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

madrobot

Post by madrobot »

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

They look like a cast of zombies to me because they all have those wide open eyes ...

But a nice style, I can imagine it's hard to rig, but would animate nicely. We definitely need more variety in animation, and this is a good one.