Joint legs hips

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wagmun

Joint hip legs

Post by wagmun »

I might be missing something, but from my understanding, to avoid parts interfering on each other its good idea to build hem apart, put everything under a bone layer, then bone offset to bring them back together.
So, on frame zero we see everything apart, except when you start editing a vetor or manipulating the bones.
I find it difficult to have stroke continuity between hips and legs. when first sketch is ready you align everything. Then you maipulate, say, the thigh bone to move the leg, then you realize a break between thigh top and hip.
what you need to do is edit the thigh top points in order to make it aligned with the hip in its new position. But when you do that, AS splits pieces apart and you have to guess the shape you need to sculpt thigh top to make it continuous to hip in the bone position you are testing.
Hope it helps.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Okay, I think I understand the texture problem now. I don't use textures, so I haven't encountered this before. Is this the gist of it? I don't have any solutions for this, but someone who has worked with textures a lot may have one.

Separate from the texture problem, I still think the bone setup here will cause you problems. The bones are pivoting from the neck. In a typical setup, you would pivot from the abdomen. Pivoting from the neck might be best for some very specific animation styles, though. But the bone parenting is the big thing. Right now, if you pivot the top body bone, the arm won't move with the body because it's parented directly to the control bone. That will make it disconnect from the body.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

sbtamu wrote: heyvern, could you go more into detail on this, I have some problems with this also and not sure I fully understand what you mean.

thanks
sbtamu,

Import the character called "Fritz" from the AS partners Library content. If you have version 6 it would be under the "VernonZehr" folder if you have version 7 it would be in the "Hubumedia" folder.

Go to frame 0 of that character and you can see how the legs are connected to "Hips" the but moved away from the body using bone offset.

For the other technique of separate but together, in the layer palette, scroll down and turn off the "left calf" layer. It is totally separate from the left thigh and yet when animated "appears" to be connected. The way I did this was to create the whole leg in one layer with separate shapes. I then duplicated the leg and deleted shapes and some points for each layer.
wagmun

Post by wagmun »

lwaxana wrote:Okay, I think I understand the texture problem now. I don't use textures, so I haven't encountered this before. Is this the gist of it? I don't have any solutions for this, but someone who has worked with textures a lot may have one.

Separate from the texture problem, I still think the bone setup here will cause you problems. The bones are pivoting from the neck. In a typical setup, you would pivot from the abdomen. Pivoting from the neck might be best for some very specific animation styles, though. But the bone parenting is the big thing. Right now, if you pivot the top body bone, the arm won't move with the body because it's parented directly to the control bone. That will make it disconnect from the body.
You solved the problem!
Setting bone strength to zero worked perfectly!
wagmun

Post by wagmun »

heyvern wrote:
sbtamu wrote: heyvern, could you go more into detail on this, I have some problems with this also and not sure I fully understand what you mean.

thanks
sbtamu,

Import the character called "Fritz" from the AS partners Library content. If you have version 6 it would be under the "VernonZehr" folder if you have version 7 it would be in the "Hubumedia" folder.

Go to frame 0 of that character and you can see how the legs are connected to "Hips" the but moved away from the body using bone offset.

For the other technique of separate but together, in the layer palette, scroll down and turn off the "left calf" layer. It is totally separate from the left thigh and yet when animated "appears" to be connected. The way I did this was to create the whole leg in one layer with separate shapes. I then duplicated the leg and deleted shapes and some points for each layer.
Very ingenious.
I must give it a try.
wagmun

joint hip legs

Post by wagmun »

wagmun wrote:
heyvern wrote:

thanks
sbtamu,

Very ingenious.
I must give it a try.
Worked perfectly.
Tks for the help.