Export Problem

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

moviedemon

Export Problem

Post by moviedemon »

I'm using Anime Studio Debut 6.0 on a PC. My project dimensions are 720 x 534, NTSC D1, 24p. I'm exporting to Quicktime format using MPEG4 compression (although I've also used H.264 with no change in results.)

The problem I'm having is that the rendered video comes out dark. Everything looks fine during the rendering preview, but the final result looks like there's a gray film over everything - colors are subdued and whites look gray.

If I export to AVI or Flash, the colors look fine, so it appears to be a Quicktime gamma shift issue - something I've run into before with some video projects I've worked on.

So here's my question: I'm likely going to be handing these animation clips off to someone working on a Mac, using FCP to edit them together. Do I need to worry about the gamma shift?

Alternately, I may end up doing the editing myself, on a PC using Adobe Premiere. If so, what would be the best output format and settings, (bearing in mind that the final product is going to be on DVD)?

Thanks!
David
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

My first guess would be that choosing the NTSC preset also uses the restricted colourset of that format for export. But I found no indication for that in AS.

Did you try to export some frames as PNG images, and does the same effect happen?
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I had a problem close to this. I ended up exporting as AVI uncompressed then used a converter to switch to MPEG. I think i used the converter in FireFox's downloader helper app.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
wena

Post by wena »

A handy converter for changing formats is XMedia Recode. As for problems exporting I cant even export into avi.

So to get around that I export in the above free program.

Wena