keep the noisy outlines from being animated ?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DominiqueBray

keep the noisy outlines from being animated ?

Post by DominiqueBray »

Hello

How do I keep the noisy outlines from being animated while they should not be ? :?

I do not check "animated noise". And as long as the camera is still, no problem, lines are still two. But as soon as the camera moves, the noisy outines get animated...

In deed, looking at the way they move, I feel like they use a still noise filter attached to the render area, so when the shapes move then the noise applied to noisy outlines changes because it stays attached to the render area instead of moving with the shapes.

Did somebody already met this problem and found a trick ?

It's really annoying ! I use it for landscapes and it looks really strange when lines start dancing suddently juste because the camera moves. :x
________
SMOKE KILLS
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If you only use it for landscapes or other props: just render these as images, re-import them, and make the original vector layers invisible. This should even speed up your rendering.
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

I thought about it, but the landscape is really huge and there are many layers using different z values (for 3d scroll effect), so it would be boring to do, and furthermore I really doubt AS can handle so many huge pictures, it would probably lag as hell then crash...
________
Silversurfer Vaporizer
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I use lots of images in HDTV as well and never experienced a crash of AS. On the contrary, it handles these pretty well, so AS became my tool of choice when creating pans and multiplane camera work.
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

I gave it a try. You are right, it does not lag or crash like I would expect it to. :shock: The problem is pictures are always blured in AS, and it's a shame to blur this so beautifull art of mine. :( I tried my x4 trick (which I am talking about here) but it's still too blury and ruining my art. :x

If only there was a way to keep the noisy effect to start "waving" as soon as the camera moves. :?

edit : By the way guys, here is an example file for you to try, just render the video and you'll see lines start waving as soon as the camera moves just a little.
________
Marijuana hemp
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hm, I don't get that bit with the blur. I create all background art in actual HDTV size or even bigger.

http://www.enigmation.de/fonpol.html and
http://www.enigmation.de/fonpan.html were done with images created in TVaint, then animated in AS. The original artwork is HDTV or bigger, I posted a 1:1 example here viewtopic.php?t=14925.
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

well, look at this :
the middle one is vectorial, the left one is exported to png then imported, the right one is exported then scaled x4 then imported.
________
Essential Vaaapp Vaporizer
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, I can see a difference, but only if I watch it really really close. It will not matter in animation, and a little bit of softness is in fact good for all-digital imagery, in my experience.

In fact, I'd advise to first use clever colour choices and good contrast before fiddling with line sharpness. It's also a tradition to have background elements a bit less sharp than the animation.
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

The difference is really obvious on my screen. It is a pro one, supposed to be quite good quality and not alter things so I trust it. I did not test it on a hd tv though, and true most people will probably won't be able to see what I see.
Anyway, if I don't have the choice, I will trust your experience for now.

But I will still looking for a way to fix this waving problem with outlines.

( off topic : I was quite happy with these colours, but ok if you advise to work again on it I'll be getting them better. ;) )
________
Buy Cannabis Seeds
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Sorry, I didn't want to criticise your colour choice, after all I don't know your style and what you've planned with the film. It was meant as a general remark.

I noticed this several times with my own stuff: I start a scene and animate some bits, then after some days I watch it again and am not satisfied with my choice of colours. Now I've put a sign over my screen: "Don't use children's book colours!" because I tend to use very obvious colour choices. Usually my second or third attempt is a good one.

A trick I use: render one image, open it in Photoshop and use its automatic gradient correction. If this makes a big difference, then it's a hint to re-work my colour scheme. Mostly I don't use enough darkness and contrast.

(My screen is a Cintiq, should be trustworthy enough ...)
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

Ah ok it was general. Anyway I would take it as a good hint and not a bad criticism. ;)
I am never totally happy with my colours anyway, but this one look quite good when there are stones, dry grass, animals, and the cowboy on his donkey.

It's hard to me to find colours which all come together. My own trick is to first quickly colour my scanned drawing in Photoshop, with only flat colours, then playing with levels and colour-balance until I get something nice which fits the atmosphere. (I read useful things in books about it) Because eyes get accustomed, I have to make a pause every 5 minutes to get them back neutral... :x Then, when I am finally happy enough, I start painting it in Painter or shape it in AS, adding the shading. Quite a long and boring process, but we have to. :?
________
FREE JOOMLA THEMES