I feel like I'm going Crazy, please help.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

betamax

I feel like I'm going Crazy, please help.

Post by betamax »

I've seen some amazing things done with Anime Studio but sometimes I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone and it feels like nonsense. I really want to learn this program but it's really testing my patience.

All I want to do is add some detail to a circle like spikes on a Mace Club for example. So when I add the spikes it just warps the circle.

Here's a video link of an example on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcnijljrvg

This should be so basic. It's simple things like this that just seem illogical. What am I missing?

thanks for your time.

betamax.
DK

Post by DK »

Uncheck "Auto Weld" in the top menu when the drawing tool is selected.

D.K
betamax

Post by betamax »

But then how does it attach or stay with the object?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

If you disable auto-weld, remember to use spacebar to weld your endpoints.

To answer your second question. The shapes are aren't actually "grouped" in the same sense as in, say, CorelDraw. What you can do is put all the shapes in the same layer and then move the layer as a whole.

Or you can add a non-rendering line and connect the two shapes. That way you can select any one point and use the tab key to "Select Connected" to select the whole object.
Last edited by neeters_guy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
betamax

Post by betamax »

neeters_guy

So I disable it but it still deforms the circle. If I create a circle which is say the earth. Then create say green land masses that's fine but as soon as you touch the edge where a land mass would go on to the otherside of the hemisphere the edge deforms.
betamax

Post by betamax »

neeters_guy

didn't read the rest of your reply, I'll try what you suggested tomorrow as it's late here in Canada.

thanks everybody for the help.

betamax.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Heh, our posts are crossing each other. :)

To finish up this thought. Every time you add a point to the circle it will deform because each point exerts some tension to the surrounding points. To minimize this effect, only connect on existing points or add more points to the circle to "stabilize" it. Do this by selecting all the points in the circle (4) then use the Script->Draw->Split Curve and input 2.

But you don't have to connect all the shapes. The earth, land masses, etc., can be discrete shapes but in the same layer.

Hope that helps.
arfa

Post by arfa »

If you have been using 'regular' vector software (illustrator, xara, corel etc) you have to allow that AS curves are not as one would expect. For a start there are no 'handles' to adjust curvature. It takes a bit of getting used to.

If you want the shape on one layer then anchor points are best means of control. And the use of curvature.

Adding to existing points is safest.
Script->Draw->Split still deforms the curve if you only have a few points selected. Likewise if the shape is not symmetrical. Ramon has a nice split curve that just adds one point centrally between those selected viewtopic.php?t=14956 but it still wonks the curvature.

Basically it is getting the feel of how it works. Accepting that it works differently. MAYBE one day it will conform to standard.