Walk cycle, front.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

theotherguy

Walk cycle, front.

Post by theotherguy »

Hi all, I'm trying to make a walk cycle looking at my character from the front. It isn't going well. I'm wondering if I should stretch and shrink the bone layers in the legs to make them go up and down? I'm afraid I'm not very good at animating stuff like this, are there templates I could use or buy?
thanks in advance
LeeHasPencil

Post by LeeHasPencil »

Could you film yourself doing the walk and then import and trace over the movements?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Try and get hold of a copy of Richard Williams' "Animator's Survival Kit". Some good analyses of walk cycles in there, including from the front, which are quite hard to do convincingly.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
wena

Post by wena »

I think when tresing you need to think of the fact you need some 7 frames between the steps to make a reasonable pace.

When you have it correct, then keep that as a tresing it will then give you the same pace

There has been a thread on this forum which refer to ANABLOCKS that is a block of animation to help you do the same thing again.

Or you might find some one on this forum who might provide you with a BLOCK

I have the same problem

Wena
theotherguy

Post by theotherguy »

Thanks all, I guess the best way is to experiment. The trickiest part is not so much the cycle with me anymore, it's making it look natural.
wena

Post by wena »

Looking at the walk that knunk presented, It is I think a cartoon walk; an exaggerated one. I myself would want a more natural ones.

It might be a good idea if you or any one have such walks to post them, walking is one of those things we always need.

Wena
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

wena

Post by wena »

Thank you slowtiger for that, it is ALMOST exactly what I want. I say almost, now if I could get the movement onto a film then have a frame by frame in Anime Studio it would be great.

I have an Idea of how to get that so I might be back with it if it works.

Wen