Motivation

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Smoof nickel

Motivation

Post by Smoof nickel »

Very personal question here. What are some ways to stay interested in a project? I just want to know from personal experience, but this still seems like a stupid question :oops: .. I have this project I just started on but I almost feel like.. A block! How do some of you guys keep from getting bored with one project?

Thanks for those who read and answer my questions

Smoof
Do not evaluate your attempts or your intentions. Instead, evaluate your results.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Its not a stupid question, its a good one.
What keeps me interested in a proyect is a nice script and money :)
Imago

Post by Imago »

My tip is... Fell in love with your project!
Take the original idea and think how you had it!
Think about variation on some points of the story without change the main storyline. Make cross-overs with other your projects to bring new life.
Experiment new tecniques with old ones.
In this way your project NEVER bores you and you can rid the block. :wink:
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
Honacloi

Have you tried music?

Post by Honacloi »

Every time I work on anything in Anime Studio or After Effects or any program that I know will be time consuming, I log in to we7 where I have a whole series of playlists set up with music that motivates me.

I even have different playlists for different projects or tasks. For example, if I'm working on credits, I tend to play the Superman soundtrack which apart from being very uplifting and energetic I associate with those kick ass credits at the opening of Superman which set a new standard in credits animation that has never been bettered.

Try it. One tip though, make your playlists as long as possible because if it loops too often, the repetition of the same tracks may have the opposite effect.

Another tip is to make each project challenging, try new things you have never tried before that way you are learning at the same time and you'll feel great about the result. :!:
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

There are many answers to this question. I like to have two or three projects on the go, so when I get bored with one I can switch to another. You can get some good cross-fertilisation of ideas like this too. Secondly, if you plan out your projects well, with a logical and consistent workflow, it definitely helps maintain your enthusiasm. Thirdly, try and involve people whose opinions you value. Not only will it help to motivate you because you won't want to let them down, other people can often bring ideas to projects that you would never have thought of...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
arfa

Post by arfa »

Interesting thread and certainly relevant to me.

I think "plan out your projects well" is probably the best suggestion and one I should take more notice of but..... gah! I am a bit messy and erratic - I like to think it is artistic. :roll: Hah!

I find that switching to a different part of the project keeps me going.
> Take bits of the script and experiment with the voice-over or sound effects.
> Create (totally wild and) extraneous props that might or might not get used.
> Play with the character styles - ie. make the hair blue or the skin green
> Speculate on different endings

I am not tied to a production time so most of my strategies involve 'loosening up' my fixed views. Playing about. I feel I 'should' have brown hair but... says who. Basically if it becomes too much like work it looses the creativity/spontaneity. There has to be a sense of fun.
cross-fertilisation
Yes. Whether part of the same project or another project.

A 'block' has defined boundaries. How to get (think) outside of the box? I find the more project-relevance I demand of my 'alternative' thinking the less room I have to move. The more stuck I stay. A wild :twisted: breakaway [using a saved copy :lol: ]
I remember reading somewhere about Goofy's feet being put on backwards as part of his goofy walk.

radical
super8mm

Post by super8mm »

I get inspired by the pros. I listen to animator commentaries, tutorial on animation. I also set my goals very small. If I said I will do a 2 minute animation I would never get anything done. One scene done at a time and watching it do its thing is so rewarding.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

An active hobby also helps, the ability to get away from the computer and do something completely different and energetic.

I have a Cambodian girlfriend... :roll:

Rhoel
Smoof nickel

Thanks for all the answers!

Post by Smoof nickel »

I really appreciate all of your advice.. Thank you very much. I especially like the idea of working on multiple projects.

Thanks again

Smoof
Do not evaluate your attempts or your intentions. Instead, evaluate your results.
KartoonManagement

Post by KartoonManagement »

Trying new animations like i animated Jay (my tOOn) texting on a Tmobile G1! Episode 9 Remember Me.