Which is better?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Toontoonz

Which is better?

Post by Toontoonz »

I have an image and have that image layer back on the Z axis at -2 and the image fills just 1/4 of the screen.
I want to make the image fill the screen.

Which is better to do?
a) Enlarge the image layer (using the Scale Layer tool) to fill the screen.
b) Bring the layer´s Z axis up to 0 (or whatever value makes it the image layer a larger size to fill the screen).
c) Zoom in with the camera to fill the screen with the image.
d) Track the camera layer´s Z-axis value in so the image fills the screen.

Does one give better quality or different effect than the other or do they each accomplish the same thing?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Visually, they will all work essentially the same - the same pixels will fill up the same amount of screen space. In practice, the different approaches will affect different parts of your overall scene:

I assume there's a reason you moved the image back to -2 in Z (building up a 3D scene?), so moving it forward in that case would defeat that purpose.

Zooming or moving the camera will chnage the visual pacement of all objects in the scene, not just the image, I can image that wouldn't be desireable.

I think the best approach is to scale the layer up, since that will only affect the layer itself and not other objects, but it really depends on the setup of the scene and what you're trying to achieve.
cribble

Post by cribble »

I think, no matter what you do, the quality will be effected. Unless... did you import a big image (as in width and height)? if you did the quality will only start to get effect once you kind of broken through a certain threshhold...
--Scott
cribble.net
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

That's true - the image needs to be big enough to fill the screen. If your Moho project is set to 640x480, then the image better be at least that big or you'll start to see blurriness. But if your image is big enough, then the method you use to make it fill the screen shouldn't really make a difference.