advice on tracing a drawing

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

swrecordings

advice on tracing a drawing

Post by swrecordings »

i am trying to create an animated figure of emma watson (hermione granger from harry potter films). however, I NEED SOME HELP. is there any tips for tracing images in AS 6 debut?

i am also wondering if i should just use her head on another body or create a figure out of a(some) picture(s).

please help me :? :? :? :?

i am very confused
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

If you trace in vector, you'll be kind of creating shapes with fills, all stacked on top of each other. Its a little different to just drawing the lines and then flood-filling them like you may do in Photoshop. Instead you may have lots of shapes all stacked on top of each other.

For instance, the basic shape of her head may be one shape and perhaps the first shape you create. Make that her skin colour.

Next, on another layer, or on the same layer, you could draw her hair. Make that her hair colour.

Next, you could draw her mouth as a shape. Then her eyes (and her blinks, both in a switch layer to make it easy to animate blinks), detail lines of the face if necessary...

So you kind of build it up with closed shapes that have a fill colour.

OR, as you mention, you could get a photo of her and cut it out in a graphics program and WHAMMO you have a pic of her.

I guess examples of both methods could be SOUTH PARK where a celebrity is featured. Looks like they create the face with vector shapes stacked on top of each other.

For the cutout look, JIBJAB do it, I also made an animation this way. The link's in my signature.
arfa

Post by arfa »

Mikdog has it pretty well covered but here are a couple of thoughts.

Mostly you need to be thinking of how far you want to animate - the more movement required the more separate 'bits' you will need. If you want the mouth to open you will need teeth, tongue - possibly on the same layer with the jaw. What do you want to do with eyes? Full movement (left, right, wide open, shut). Eyebrow movement? Part of this depends on how close-up you are getting.

If you go with a photo you need to decide how much you want to cut it up. A common one is to cut off the jaw to allow for mouth movement. It is quite a trick boxing the image up with bones to contain movement. Again it depends on how much movement you want. Mixing head-photo and vector body (often the head is big and the body cartoony small) gives you more scope for animation - walking, arm waving etc. - than just a photo.

The other factor is style - humour, satire or reality or??

have fun