Selecting points

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jorgy

Selecting points

Post by jorgy »

When I'm doing heavy-duty editing in a vector layer, it seems like I'm switching between "G" (point selector) and "T" (translate) a lot. Sometimes, I just want to pick up a point and move it, and I can't if I have a shape selected. For example, I have a shape selected, and I want to move some points. I have to hit "G" first, then click in an open area to deselect it, then "T". Is there another shortcut I'm missing, or a better way to do it?

Thanks.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

I sure wish there was...the present system as you described is very clumsy to use...for me anyway.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

That was one of the reasons I wrote my Universal Point Tool (which you can find in this post.
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512
It crams the selection, translation, adding, rotating and scaling of points into one tool. In basic use, it works like the translate tool. If you hold down the <CTRL> key you can select new points, either by clicking on them or lassoing them, even if there are other points selected. If you <CTRL> click on a blank area, all points are deselected.

I really do have to put all these things in one easy to find spot.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I haven't tried the Universal Point Tool, but given Brian's track record, I bet it's good.

But there's also an easy way to deal with the situation you describe. To deselect all points, just press the enter key. That replaces the steps you described:

-activate group tool
-click on an empty area
-activate point translation tool
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Well, dang. Even though I use my thang, a lot, it I'd known about that "Enter" shortcut I might not have. That's cool, yet another handy feature.
JCook

Post by JCook »

Another way is, if you have a Wacom tablet/pen or a three button programmable mouse, assign G and T to buttons on the pen or mouse. On the tablet you can also assign commands such as tools to the programmable buttons at the top of the pad. I've done this, and also use the Popup Menu feature of the Wacom. With this feature you can enter a list of frequently used commands and assign the popup menu to a button on the pen. When you press the assigned button you get a popup menu that has the list of commands, such as Group Selection, Translate, etc., choose one and it changes to the tool you specify.

Jack
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

7feet wrote:That was one of the reasons I wrote my Universal Point Tool
I actually had seen your script, but had put off learning it, thinking "I'll learn the basic tools before I get fancy." Well it's time to get fancy. :-)