only 3000 frames?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

tonym

Post by tonym »

Let's examine the box text:"complete 2D solution for creating movies, cartoons, anime or cut-out animation!"

Can you create a movie with the software?

Keep in mind, "movie" does not mean "seventy-minutes or more in length." A movie can be 10 seconds long. Or five minutes. Or whatever. There is no consensus on what length a movie must be.

So the answer is "yes."

Can you create anime? Yes.
Can you create cut-out animation? Yes.

So the software does what the box claims.

But what about the word "complete?" Doesn't the word "complete" mean that you will have everything you need?

No, it does not.

For example: Amazon.com sells a 196-piece set of tools that it calls a "complete set of tools and accessories for home, auto and maintenance." Yet this so-called "complete" tool set does not contain a hammer or a pipe wrench.

Amazon.com also sells a book called "Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook." Yet the book does not contain every recipe ever written.

"Complete" is a perfectly acceptable word to describe a product with limitations. I'm sure I could've found hundreds of examples on the internet where "complete" is used to sell something.
eDee wrote:No where does it have a little * at the end...indicating that you will have to purchase addition software, upgrade, or that the program can't create full length animation itself. It is one complete statement indicating that the Anime Studio 5 is a complete solution.
Right. But the thing is, you truly don't have to upgrade or buy any additional software to make a movie--assuming, of course, you keep it simple.

If your creative vision exceeds the software's limitations, that is not the software's fault.

"Movie" and "complete" may be ambiguous words, but Smith Micro did not perpetrate a "scam" by using them. They only perpetrated marketing.
eDee

Post by eDee »

Today while going over my images, I realized that Adobe Photoshop does more to create movies than AS5 or AS6D. I can create all my images in Adobe Photoshop (which I had to create my images in photoshop even when using AS). I can use Microsoft to create the actual movies and I think I can even record using Microsoft – something you can’t do using AS5 or AS6D. Basically, there is no good reason for anyone to waste their time or money on Anime Studio, it does less then Adobe Photoshop STANDARD and you must use Microsoft or some editor to patch your movies together.

Even if you create a 3000 frame movie within AS5 or AS6D you still can't attach the audio when you export it so you have to use another program to actually make a movie. Guys the software is useless, that's all there is to it. You're fighting a losing battle. Anyone who tries Microsoft movie, Audacity and Photoshop (the cheap version) will have better luck and it goes along incredibly fast. Anime Studio is clunky and the “bone based animation” is a joke. Every time I ask a question you tell me "Oh you can't do that, you have to use this kind of software and after that you have to use another kind of software." Funny no one is able to tell me what Anime Studio actually does, just what it can't do. LOL You've all told me that I jumped to conclusions thinking Anime Studio will do anything at all.

I’ve already created 3 mini cartoons to test out the Microsoft software (also made homemade meatballs, dinner, bathed 2 small kids and got them off to bed) during which Anime Studio has spent the past 4 hours trying to “render” my 3000 frames into a movie <cluck, cluck, cluck>.

I’ve learned my lesson and I’ve wasted enough time and money. But you guys go on and keep playing around with the software, I however have movies to make.
Danimal wrote:
eDee wrote:The box reads: Anime Studio 5 is your complete 2D solution for creating movies, cartoons, anime or cut-out animation! Create your own animated shorts and full length animations for films, videos or streaming over the web.

You are saying I jump to conclusions assuming that the statement: "complete 2D solution for creating movies, cartoons, anime or cut-out animation!" meant that it was a complete 2D solution for creating movies, cartoons and anime?
And again, this is exactly what it does. It does not require any other software to create movies, cartoons, anime, or cut-out. You can draw and design everything right there, then animate it all in one software. This would indeed make it "complete." That it somehow doesn't do what you would like doesn't make it incomplete, it just means you need to figure out a different way to use it. But rather than do that, it's just so much simpler to complain.

Actually, come to think of it, you're totally right. I mean, the box states that it will create movies, yet I am the one who has to do all the work! What a pack of lies! It doesn't create anything at all, I DO! Boo hoo, sob sob, I think I too will spam forums because of my inability and ineptitude!

I again mention the decline in humanity...
tonym

Post by tonym »

Bye bye, angry meatball maker.
dsaenz825

Post by dsaenz825 »

Sorry guys, it has been a while since I've been here (internet got disconnected for a while -_-).

Sorry eDee if the program did not do what you wanted. I guess its like waiting to see a movie, you get carried away in thought as to how you believe the movie is going to be: only to find out that it was not what you dreamed it would be.

When I got Anime Studio I did not expect for it to have a video editor and much less an audio recorder/editor. To tell you the truth, animation (in my head) was all done frame by frame but anime studio's point animation and bone rigging technology blew my mind.

Maybe the difference between you and me is that I had low expectations while you had very high expectations for a piece of software. Still I think you should just cool off a bit (as we all have those days of disappointments), and give anime studio a second chance, without thinking it is the "one ring to rule them all" lol

You might even find it to be a useful tool, laters.

-dsaenz825
I love comments for they help me improve on my weaknesses.
eDee

Post by eDee »

I'm not angry, I think it's funny. All of you keep point out all the things that Anime Studio can't do, but you're all so upset that I don't like the program. Considering the animation that I'm creating, I don't have to use one tenth of the programs features.

Let me give you a sample. This was done in photoshop as an example of what I wanted to do: viewtopic.php?p=79044&highlight=#79044
Scroll down to the images of the cups. Now imagine this: I need Anime Studio to show that image of a cup AND at the same time play the audio on my voice saying "Cup" Then like flash cards it needs to continue showing each card as I spell out the word "C - U - P - Cup" That's 5 different images created in photoshop. Then the program needs to go to the next group of images which will spell truck and in the same way, post an image of the truck and under it show the letters while my voice is saying "Truck - T - R - U - C - K - Truck"

That is all Anime Studio had to do, for around 3 minutes and it can't. That's what has me laughing at all of you. You are defending a program that can't do 3 minutes of Pre-School spelling. And the images are already created in photoshop, it just has to display 1 entire flash card - that's all, not 2 or 3 layers all rolled up into one. Truck of course is 7 different images, but still considering you should be able to actually animate cartoons with this software and it can't even bring up an image of a cup then another image of a cup and the letter c and so on, I think it's pretty pathetic.

We are going on 7 hours of rending now, but when it's finished (I'm assuming around Tuesday) I promise I will upload it to youtube and post a link right here.

dsaenz825 wrote:Sorry guys, it has been a while since I've been here (internet got disconnected for a while -_-).

Sorry eDee if the program did not do what you wanted. I guess its like waiting to see a movie, you get carried away in thought as to how you believe the movie is going to be: only to find out that it was not what you dreamed it would be.

When I got Anime Studio I did not expect for it to have a video editor and much less an audio recorder/editor. To tell you the truth, animation (in my head) was all done frame by frame but anime studio's point animation and bone rigging technology blew my mind.

Maybe the difference between you and me is that I had low expectations while you had very high expectations for a piece of software. Still I think you should just cool off a bit (as we all have those days of disappointments), and give anime studio a second chance, without thinking it is the "one ring to rule them all" lol

You might even find it to be a useful tool, laters.

-dsaenz825
eDee

Post by eDee »

Here is a quick example.

The script reads CUP - C - U - P - CUP TRUCK - T - R - U - C - K - TRUCK SMILE - S - M - I - L - E - SMILE

And if this will allow an animated gif, you should see the images

That's ALL the program has to do, just pull up the correct flash card (which are all jpg's but I tried gifs and that didn't work either) where I indicate it should go on the timeline as I follow my voice.

So as you can see my expectations are extremely low. Anime Studio can't even do this for more than two minutes and 30 seconds - pretty sad. And for the 2 minutes and 30 seconds that I can record, it can't follow my voice, I put the little arrow before I need it to show the letter or word, then I activate that flash card it should show, but the program falls behind!

This is for my 2 year old, I'm not speaking incredibly fast here.

Maybe now you can see my disappointment.

As much as I would just LOVE to read all the responses telling me how the program can't do this or that, I need to go to bed.

I should be back on tomorrow afternoon, I'll pick up there.

Nighty night.
da2tha3

Post by da2tha3 »

Yeah, right OK. Go play with movie maker and make your excellent compositions, in keeping with the rest of the talentless dribble that plagues the internet via sharing sites. Anime Studio is in fact a powerful tool, you only need to look at the work of those with TALENT to realise that. Unfortunately, you paid for a program that isn't made to create what you want to create. Whose fault is that?
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

eDee wrote:I should be back on tomorrow afternoon, I'll pick up there.
*yawn*

We're sure you will. For a piece of software that has let you down so due to your own failure at understanding it, you sure can't seem to stay away from the forum. And for someone so active and busy and filled with moviemaking splendor, you sure have time to blather on and on about nothing here. Ah, the life of a troll. :lol: :roll:
~Danimal
eDee

Post by eDee »

Excuse me, I never attacked you.
I'm pretty sure attacking someone personally is against the forum policy.

Maybe you should take a step back, this is ONLY software. I am enjoying the banter, as an adult I don't take your opinions on the incompetent software personally.

As I tell my children, "Nasty comments don't prove your point, they only prove your ignorance". We are all adults here (I'm assuming your over 18 ) if you can't control yourself and enjoy a good debate maybe you should consider taking a break (getting a job and moving out of your parents home - kidding!! That's just a joke to lighten things up.)

Still rendering!!

Since you are so addicted to my posts I'll tell you before you ask, I jumped on the PC to check my email and just couldn't wait to see what everyone posted since I went to bed. This is the most fun I've had debating anything on a forum in a long time.

But alas, kids are waking, shopping to do, van needs an oil change and we have a play date later. See you all this afternoon.
Danimal wrote:
eDee wrote:I should be back on tomorrow afternoon, I'll pick up there.
*yawn*

We're sure you will. For a piece of software that has let you down so due to your own failure at understanding it, you sure can't seem to stay away from the forum. And for someone so active and busy and filled with moviemaking splendor, you sure have time to blather on and on about nothing here. Ah, the life of a troll. :lol: :roll:
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

eDee wrote:See you all this afternoon.
Why?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
da2tha3

Post by da2tha3 »

All right, fair comment. However, the fact remains that the software can do all the things it says on the box!
dsaenz825

Post by dsaenz825 »

um anime studio 6 debut can do what you want easily, its your approach that is whats failing. I have an old anime studio project, saved in my old records of mistakes, where I wanted to create a short cartoon all in one file. Was it possible? Yes. Do I recommend making it all under one file? No. You end up making more errors with an approach like this, and ultimately this approach made me stop making the cartoon half way into production.

Since you have anime studio 6 debut, you have limits like only 3000 frames to work with, no 3D capabilities, and you can not take a picture of a frame (my favorite tool). I too have anime studio 6 debut, I did not have the money for the pro version, and I am creating a cartoon with it. I do not have a problem with it at all.

Your interested in making a movie right, well if you look at the professionals they all use a wide variety of programs and all of them use a video editor. Your problem is not anime studio 6 debut's limits but lack of a good video editor. Sure you can use Windows Movie Maker, but personally I would not recommend that program to anyone unless that is all they can get their hands on.

Here is just some stuff to look at, these videos were made in anime studio or Moho (the old anime studio) which is the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjmMuMhR ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_lSRx1O ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bnko07A ... annel_page

Now these were made by me, anime studio even helped me out for a school project (got an A on it by the way).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7uvh4Aj ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKh_DK8g ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDlGbY1x ... annel_page

I'm not saying you have to use anime studio, just saying that you should understand that it takes time to understand a program when you first get it (the way you use a certain tool might differ between programs). Well have fun with making your movies, in the end it all comes down to which program feels right for you.

Cheers
I love comments for they help me improve on my weaknesses.
tonym

Post by tonym »

eDee wrote:I'm not angry, I think it's funny.
Your posts are sarcastic, acid in tone, and overly defensive, so you seem plenty mad. But whatever.

If you are only doing flash cards, you might try changing your frame rate to 4 frames per second, or less. At 4 fps, you can make a movie 12.5 minutes long.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

dsaenz825 is absolutely correct.

NO ONE makes an entire film all in one long shot with one gigantic file in one program. No one. Guaranteed. It just isn't practical or an efficient way to work. 3000 frames is MORE than enough for the customer that Anime Studio Debut is aimed at. AS Debut is aimed at hobbyist animators who maybe need to do a minute or two of animation or want to learn about it without spending a fortune. Having said that even with that limitation you can still use it along with other applications to stitch a longer project together.

Any tool you need, besides AS, to assemble a final product from short renders is free as open source, or included with the OS. Macs come with iMovie and iDVD (I use iMovie ALL the time to stitch together AS renders). I'm sure Microsoft has something similar. There are also open source applications out there that can do simple merging of multiple rendered files. QT Pro is available for Mac and PC, it only costs $30 and can easily stitch together multiple renders or import image sequences and paste in a sound track.

Before you say AS is useless you may want to look at some of the high quality animations that have been done with it in the share your work gallery or on the Smith Micro web site. The proof is in the pudding. It's not the pencil that's broken it's the pencil holder... uh... the... pencil... the person HOLDING the pencil... that's it. ;)

-vern
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I think everything worth saying here has been said (and then some). Let's move on...