Rendering time of backgrounds created in ASP

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

uddhava

Rendering time of backgrounds created in ASP

Post by uddhava »

If I want to create backgrounds in ASP, what is the best way to place the different elements,shapes of the background for the fastest rendering times? For instance in many layers, in one layer, etc.

Thank you, Udd
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Use as many layers as you want. The trick is to render that background only once, then re-import it into your animation files as one single image.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

i agree with slowtiger.
Also the more points and effects you use in the backgrounds the longer time to render.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Also, only render whats visible. Anything hidden behind something or way off to the left or right is just wasting rendering time. Just remember to hide and show layers throughout the timeline. ;)
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

slowtiger wrote:Use as many layers as you want. The trick is to render that background only once, then re-import it into your animation files as one single image.
Thanks. So I should import it back in as an image. Would you usually render that out in a larger size in the same aspect ratio as your final movie size. I guess for zooming in you would do that?

Also for panning the size of the image would be longer than the movie.

Udd
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

J. Baker wrote:Also, only render whats visible. Anything hidden behind something or way off to the left or right is just wasting rendering time. Just remember to hide and show layers throughout the timeline. ;)
Thanks. Is this for when I render the background as vector layers as opposed to using one image? Are there advantages for that?

Udd
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

uddhava wrote:...Would you usually render that out in a larger size in the same aspect ratio as your final movie size. I guess for zooming in you would do that?
I'd say render at about double size of what final resolution will be since AS does add a slight blur to images when rendering. This can be very noticable when rendering images at 100%.
Downscaling them makes this much less visible.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

rylleman wrote: I'd say render at about double size of what final resolution will be since AS does add a slight blur to images when rendering. This can be very noticable when rendering images at 100%.
Downscaling them makes this much less visible.
Ok, thanks for the tip.

And thanks to everyone for your help.

Udd
da2tha3

Post by da2tha3 »

Also, if you want to create the impression of depth in the background, you could save the separate parts (sky, far, mid, near) as images and then layer them. If you have lots of effects (splotchy is particularly time-consuming) applied, then this approach will still considerably cut down on rendering times.