Inconsistent line scaling

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Cerulean

Inconsistent line scaling

Post by Cerulean »

A line of what Moho calls "width 1" renders too thick for my taste, so I drew everything big and zoomed out the camera. Exporting to flash with variable line widths turned on produces the desired effect in most of the picture, but some shapes still have the thick lines, and I can't see any reason they should. Everything was drawn at the same scale. All layers have scale compensation turned on. Shapes with correct and incorrect line widths share the same layer. There is no correlation with whether a layer is optimized or not. Am I missing something? What can I do to fix the outline on these shapes without drawing them over again, and if I can't do that, how can ensure that I get the desired result when I do draw them again?
Snudddy

Post by Snudddy »

at "draw" menu theres something called "restore line width" or something like that. You could try that or maybe go to the toolbox where all fill tools are and select "delete shape" on the shapes that have to thick lines. Sometimes there can be two different line shapes overlaying eachother so you have to delete one. You will only notice they're overlaying when you render, wich results in a undesired thick line.

Besides, turning scale compensation off you will get thinner lines. When zooming in they get extreme thin! Also using a lighter colour then black will get an illusion of thin line.

I also thought the lines were to thick at the beginning when I didn't know so much about lines in Moho.

You just need to experiment some!
LittleFenris

Re: Inconsistent line scaling

Post by LittleFenris »

Cerulean wrote:A line of what Moho calls "width 1" renders too thick for my taste, so I drew everything big and zoomed out the camera. Exporting to flash with variable line widths turned on produces the desired effect in most of the picture, but some shapes still have the thick lines, and I can't see any reason they should.
When you first draw a shape you will see an outline (whatever you have the default thickness set to). If you want variable width lines you should select all the points in the shape and select the Line Width tool. If you just click once with that tool with all the points selected the line will disappear. Drag the tool to the right til you get the desired thickness line on all your shapes. It might have something to do with this. Maybe some of your shapes have default line width while others have manually set widths that you did with the line width tool. If they are all manually selected width I know they work, all my characters for Flash have variable line width applied and look great. If I've confused you I'll try to explain another way, but I am guessing this could be the problem.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

I don´t know if my line width problem is the same or different -

See my newly posted topic on Line thickness, with example graphics, at:
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1411
Cerulean

Post by Cerulean »

Thank you! The offending shapes all had uniform line width, causing them to render with the default (in which a width of 1 looks about three times as thick as it should.) Tapering one point somewhere on each shape corrected the problem.