Can't do point binding to bones if they are in group folders

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

LittleFenris

Can't do point binding to bones if they are in group folders

Post by LittleFenris »

I have a character with all his various layers, and a couple of them are in Group layers, or masking groups. I can seem to figure out for the life of me how to bind points from the various layers to the bones I have setup. I'm probably just having a brainfart, but I'm stuck. I selected region binding from the layer but nothing seems to work. I tried a simple shape with no group layers and bones and it worked fine. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by LittleFenris on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Bone can only directly affect layers that are their immediate children. In your example, the bones cannot control the vector layers that are down inside the sub-groups.
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

Lost Marble wrote:Bone can only directly affect layers that are their immediate children. In your example, the bones cannot control the vector layers that are down inside the sub-groups.
So I have to have everything under the bone layer for it to work? Gotcha. What about my masking group for the eyes? (eyelids are masked by the eye shapes)
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Attach the whole eye layer to the bone you want. Even if the skeleton won't affect the points directly, you can attach an entire 900 pound gorilla of a group layer to a bone and it's just peachy. If you need to affect points inside a group, just put them inside a bone layer instead of a group layer (since bone layers are really specialized group layers). Bone layers within bone layers within bone layers is fine.
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

7feet wrote:If you need to affect points inside a group, just put them inside a bone layer instead of a group layer (since bone layers are really specialized group layers).
Thanks, I didn't realize I could still do layer masking with a Bone layer.
Snudddy

Post by Snudddy »

cute cat :roll:
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

Snudddy wrote:cute cat :roll:
Whats with the rolleyes?