Riggin problems, using image switch layers.. Help!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nadafarms

Riggin problems, using image switch layers.. Help!

Post by nadafarms »

I'm using image files, I'm building a character and am having problems with binding image layers.

I have a main bone layer and within it a body img, as well as a switch layer with the arm img inside it. I want to have three bones on the arm img and have it affect the arm independently of the body. When I bind the shoulder bone to the arm img it rotates but the elbow and wrist bone aren't connected!

I can't seem to get the 3 bones to affect the arm like it would if I just had a img inside a bone layer instead of using this switch layer. So I'm naturally wanting to bind all three bones to the arm file but it doesn't work like binding points to bones?

If I bind the elbow bone to the arm img then when I turn it, the elbow becomes the main pivot point of the arm and the shoulder moves freely as if the bone hierarchy was off. Since I can't select all three bones at once to bind them all to the img file I'm not sure what to do.

Any help? I can make a working character that doesn't have switch layers but once I put the switch layer inside of the main bone I can't get the bones to affect the arms and legs like I want. If anyone can explain binding image layers I would appreciate it!

I'm trying to look at the Winsor file provided with the program but there aren't switch layers for the arms, i really need to be able to have switch layers with multiple bones controlling them.

Thanks!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Take care of the hierarchy. A bone layer can only affect layers directly inside it. In your case, you can bind the body image layer and the arm switch layer to the bones, bit NOT anything inside the arm switch layer.

- bone layer 1
- - arm switch layer (bound to bone layer 1)
- - - arm image 1 layer (not bound to bone layer 1)
- - - arm image 2 layer (not bound to bone layer 1)
- body image layer (bound to bone layer 1)

There's two ways to solve this.
- bone layer 1
- - arm switch layer (bound to bone layer 1), has bones (yes, you can add bones into a switch layer)
- - - arm image 1 layer (bound to arm switch layer)
- - - arm image 2 layer (bound to arm switch layer)

- bone layer 1
- - arm switch layer (bound to bone layer 1)
- - - bone layer 2
- - - - arm image 1 layer (bound to bone layer 2)
- - - bone layer 3
- - - - arm image 2 layer (bound to bone layer 3)

I prefer the latter one because in most cases the different switch contents are too different from each other to be controlled by the same bone setup.
nadafarms

Post by nadafarms »

thanks a lot! I'll give that a try and let you know if it's working now.

One question though is can you have more than one bone bound to an image?
omenriver

Post by omenriver »

My primary issue is I have created my layers.
Head
Torso
R.Arm
L.Arm
R.Thigh
L.Thigh
R.Foot
L.Foot.
When I put a bone layer in
The main bone of course moves everything around
but
the secondary bones seem to only move some points.
basically. . .I move the bone and some point stretch and contort around the screen
and the others ones don't move at all.
This is even after I have tried to do the Binding of points

Omen River
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

You can have 1 bone controlling 1 image - that's the usual way for cutout animation, and you sue layer binding for this.

You can as well have several bones control 1 image - this is called "warping" and is the default binding method. There's a checkbox for that in the image layer's properties. Several bones controlling one image will distort it.